22

MILLIES POV

Perhaps because I was now so busy, what with Quidditch practice three evenings a week on top of all my homework, but I could hardly believe it when I realised I'd already been at Hogwarts two months. My lessons, too, were becoming more and more interesting now that we had mastered the basics.

On Halloween morning, I woke up to the delicious smell of baking pumpkin wafting through the corridors. Even better, Professor Flitwick announced in charms that he thought we were ready to start making objects fly, something we had all been dying to try since we'd seen him make Nevilles toad zoom around the classroom. Professor Flitwick put the class into pairs to practice.

"Weasley with Granger - No you cannot change partners, Weasley - Potter with Finnigan ... Donovan with Malfoy -"

My head flicked up at the sound of my name and Malfoys. No, no, no. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Malfoy smirking at Goyle, whilst Pansy Parkinson shot me a dirty look. I would even prefer to be with Harry, so I glanced at him. He rolled his green eyes at me, before opening his mouth to say something, but was beaten by Dean Thomas, who was sitting across the classroom.

"Sorry, Sir, but I was wondering if Millie and I could pair?" He said, smiling at me. "It's just, we haven't had a chance to work together yet."

"I don't see why not - Miss Donovan, go and move next to Mr Thomas." I grinned and stood up.

"See ya," I said to Harry.

"Don't miss me too much," he called over to me as I walked over to Dean's table.

I hummed as Flitwick said loudly, "No Granger, that's not an excuse, work with Weasley."

It turned out to be really fun sitting next to Dean, he was really funny.

"Now, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Flitwick.

I turned my head to Dean, biting my cheeks to stop me from laughing. He snorted and I slapped my hand to my mouth quickly.

"Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too."

I have to admit, it was very difficult. Dean and I swished and flicked, but the feather we were supposed to be sending skywards just lay on the desktop - not that we were trying very hard, we were too busy joking around.

At one point, Dean began to speak to a boy behind us, so I turned my attention back across the room to Ron and Mione.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Ron was shouting and waving his arms wildly.

"You're saying it wrong," Mione snapped. "It's wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long."

"You do it, then, if your so clever," Ron snarled.

I watched in amusement as Mione rolled up her sleeves and said "wingardium leviosa!"

Their feather rose off the desk and hovered about four feet above our heads.

"Oh, well done!" cried Flitwick, clapping. "Everyone see here, Miss Grangers done it!"

Ron was in a very bad mood by the end of the class.

"It's no wonder no one can stand Hermione," Ron said. "She's a nightmare, honestly."

My stomach twisted with anger at his words, as Harry nodded in agreement.

"Maybe if you actually tried to be nice to her, then she would be nice to you too!" I said fiercely.

"Go be friends with that bossy know it all then, if you like her better than us," Ron grumbled.

Just then, someone knocked into him as they hurried past us. It was Mione. I caught a glimpse of her face, and was startled to see that she was in tears.

"I think she heard you," Harry said, staring after her.

"You're both idiots," I growled at the two boys.

"Millie, don't-"

I didn't hear the rest of it, for I had already started down the corridor after my friend, following her all the way to the girl's toilets.

"Mione!" I rushed inside, her bushy hair whipping around the corner into a cubicle. I ran over to join her, but before I could get there she had slammed the door in my face. "Please, Mione-"

"He's right!" she cried loudly, her voice cracking slightly. "I'm too annoying to be around, that's why I have no friends!"

"You do have friends, Mione," I said softly, leaning against the door frame. "I'm your friend - best friend."

"You?" She scoffed, and my heat panged with hurt for a second. "You just feel sorry for me."

"Of course I don't," I said, closing my eyes. "I thought we were friends."

There was a small pause, before she said hesitantly, "You did?"

"I do."

I heard the lock click, and straightened up quickly. I cautiously pushed the door open to find her standing with slumped shoulders, her eyes blood-shot and her hair sticking to her tear-stained cheeks.

"Oh, Mione," I whispered, opening my arms. She rushed over and embraced me tightly.

"Ron didn't mean what he said," I told her, stroking her hair. "He's just annoyed because you're smarter than him."

Mione chuckled lightly, before saying, "I'm sorry, too, you are my best friend."

"It's okay," I said, keeping my arm wrapped around her shoulders as I pushed the door open. "Do you-"

I froze.