49

MILLIES POV

The forest was black and silent. A little way into it, we reached a fork in the earth and Harry, Hagrid and I took the left path while Malfoy, Neville and Fang took the right.

We walked in silence for a bit, my hand clutched around my wand, which was deep in the pocket of my robes. I was slightly ahead of Hagrid and Harry, but couldn't help but overheard their conversation.

"Could a werewolf be killing the unicorns?" Harry asked.

"Not fast enough," said Hagrid. "It's not easy ter catch a unicorn, they're powerful magical creatures. I never knew one ter be hurt before."

"What's the matter with you two?" Hagrid whispered, just loud enough for me to hear. My heart jolted. "I'm surprised yeh've not made fun of each other."

"I snapped at her," Harry said, "and I shouldn't of. I thought it was the right thing to do, but I was wrong. She was right."

"Well? What're yeh waitin' fer? Go talk to the girl!" Hagrid continued in a low voice.

Harry soon appeared beside me, and I looked at him expectantly.

"Mills-"

I laughed loudly, not being able to keep it in.

He looked at me in surprise. "What?"

"I just heard your whole conversation, you don't have to say anything." I laughed again.

He groaned, but a smile formed on his lips. "So you heard-"

"You say I was right? Yep," I said, smirking.

"You're never going to let that one down, are you?" He sighed as I shook my head. "If it means you'll talk to me..."

"GET BEHIND THAT TREE!"

Both Harry and I jumped. Harry grabbed my hand and pulled me off the path behind a towering oak.

Harry watched as I pressed myself against the tree, my heart pounding against my rib cage.

"What?" I whispered, as he continued staring at me.

"Just enjoying the view-"

I slapped my hand over Harry's mouth as I heard a sound. Something was slithering over dead leaves nearby: it sounded like a cloak trailing along the ground. Hagrid pulled out an arrow and fitted it into his crossbow, raising it, ready to fire. I squinted into the darkness, but after a few seconds, the sound faded away.

"I knew it," Hagrid murmured, as Harry pulled my hand away from his mouth. He kissed it gently before leaving it to dangle at my side.

"You are an idiot, Harry Potter," I hissed, as he started towards Hagrid, a big grin plastered on his face.

"Right, follow me, but careful now," said Hagrid, as I reached them.

We walked on through the dense, dark trees, my ears straining for the faintest sound. I kept nervously looking over my shoulder. I had the nasty feeling we were being watched. I was very glad we had Hagrid and his crossbow with us.

We had passed a bend in the path when Harry stuck his arm out, preventing me from moving forwards.

"Hagrid! Look! Red sparks, the others are in trouble!"

"You two wait here!" Hagrid shouted. "Stay on the path, I'll come back for yeh!"

I heard him crashing away through the undergrowth and I stood staring in the direction he had just left, until I couldn't hear anything but the rustling leaves.