17

MILLIES POV

"Your joking!"

It was dinner time. Harry and I had just finished telling Ron what had happened when we'd left the grounds with Professor McGonagall. Ron had a piece of steak and kidney pudding halfway to his mouth, but had stopped in shock. I leant over and ate it right off his fork.

"Hey!" He laughed, pushing me away. I grinned, my mouth full.

"Seeker? And chaser!" He continued. "But first years NEVER - you must be the youngest house players in about-"

"A century," Harry said, shovelling pie into his mouth. "Wood told us."

Ron looked so amazed, so impressed, he just sat there and gaped at us.

"Earth to Ronald," I said, waving my hand in his face. He stuck his tongue out at me as I carried on speaking. "We start next week - only don't tell anyone, Oliver wants to keep it a surprise."

Fred and George came into the hall, spotted us, and hurried over.

"Well done." said George, leaning his elbow on my shoulder playfully. "Wood told us. We're on the team too - beaters."

"I tell you, we're going to win that Quidditch cup for sure this year," said Fred. "We haven't won since Charlie left, but this years team's going to be brilliant. You two must be good, Wood was almost skipping when he told us."

"Anyway we've got to go, Lee Jordan reckons he's found a new secret passageway out of the school."

I shook my head at them.

"What's the problem, Donovan?" Fred said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Your breaking the school rules." I replied, brushing George's hand off my shoulder.

"Yeah, well, I reckon it's that one behind the statue of Gregory the Smarmy that we found in our first week," George said, talking more to himself than me.
"Well, see you."

Fred and George had hardly disappeared when someone far less welcome turned up: Malfoy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle.

"Having a last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to the muggles?" Then turned to face me. "I'll be sorry to see you go, I liked you."

I just rolled my eyes, but Harry stood up, glaring at him.

"You're a lot braver now you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you,"Harry said. There was of course nothing little about Crabbe and Goyle, but as the high table was full of teachers, they could do no more than scowl.

"I'd take you anytime on your own," said Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizards duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizards duel, I suppose?"

"Of course he has," said Ron, standing up. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Malfoy looked at Crabbe and Goyle, obviously sizing them up.

"Crabbe," he said. "Midnight alright? We'll meet you in the trophy room, that's always unlocked."

Ron nodded and Harry sat back down. Malfoy suddenly took two fingers and placed them under my chin, forcing me to look at him. "Whoever wins, wins you, okay darling?" He whispered, loud enough for the boys to hear. Before he could even finish, Harry and Ron were on their feet again, and Harry said through gritted teeth, "Say that again."

However, before they could say anything else, I quickly got up and stood in between the two of them. Malfoy mouthed 'tonight' and stalked away, Crabbe and Goyle closely behind. Harry continued glaring after them until I finally pushed him back into his seat.

"Calm down," I muttered.

"No," he said angrily. "You aren't just something to win."

I looked at him with my eyebrows raised until he caught my eye, and I rolled my own as his gaze instantly softened.

"Better, Harry?" I said quietly, smirking as his lips parted. This was the first time I had called him by his first name.

"Am now," he muttered, his eyes glued to my face. I soon ruined the little moment by speaking up.

"Don't get used to it, Potter."

He scoffed, the corner of his mouth curving voluntarily. "You'll be confessing your love for me next year, watch!"

I grimaced, deciding to completely ignore what he had just said, and turned to Ron, who was happily stuffing his face with more food. "What is a wizards duel anyway? And what do you mean, you're Potters second?"

"Well, a seconds there to take over if you die," he said casually.

"What do you mean if he dies?" I exclaimed, making Ron drop his steak and kidney pie once again.

"People only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards," he said quickly. "The most Harry and Malfoy'll be able to do is send sparks at each other. Neither of them know enough magic to do any real damage. I bet he expected him to refuse, anyway."

I sunk back on the bench, my arms crossed. I looked at Harry, who was unsurprisingly laughing at me.

"What?" I grumbled miserably.

"You're worried," he observed, his laughter increasing. "You don't want me to die."

"Obviously I don't want you dying!" I exclaimed, before swiftly adding, " I don't want anyone dying."

"Yeah, yeah," Harry smirked at Ron, who was sniggering. I turned away from the two boys and pretended to be interested in the door.

"And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?" I heard Harry ask.

"Throw it away and punch him on the nose." Ron suggested, then added mockingly, "Don't say anything else, you'll worry Millie."

I whipped my head back around and glared at him, whilst Harry laughed loudly again.

"Excuse me."

I looked up - It was Mione.

"Mione!" I greeted her, happily. She smiled at me before looking at Ron, in which her face dropped completely.

"Can't a person eat in peace in this place?" said Ron.

Mione ignored him and spoke to Harry.

"I couldn't help overhearing what you and Malfoy were saying-"

"Bet you could," Ron muttered.

"-and you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you'll lose Gryffindor if you get caught, and you're bound to be. It's really very selfish of you. And you, Mills."

I bent my head in shame.

"And it's really none of your business," said Harry.

"Goodbye," said Ron.

------------

Harry is so much like James in this oops