13

MILLIES POV

After potions, I went off with Mione because I felt extremely annoyed. My first week and I had already lost Gryffindor five points. Also, Snape had embarrassed me in front of the whole class! Everyone must've thought Harry and I were doing something!

Mione and I had gone up to our dormitory and started on some homework together to take my mind off things. Then, at 2:45, I walked down to Hagrids. I had invited Mione, but she said she would rather carry on with her essay and that she'd see me later. Harry and Ron walked in about 10 minutes after me, and Harry walked straight over and sat in a chair beside me.

"You okay?" he said quietly, as Hagrid attempted to shut the door without Fang getting trapped.

"Yep."

"Good," said Harry, grinning at Ron, "because I think I won the bet."

"No way," I said instantly, leaning away from him.

"A deal's a deal, we shook on it-"

"Make yerselves at home," said Hagrid, letting go of Fang, who bounded straight into Harry's arms instead and began licking his face. I smirked triumphantly. "I was Jus' bout to put the kettle on fer me and Millie." He poured boiling water into a large teapot and began putting rock cakes onto a plate.

"This is Ron," Harry told Hagrid, after pushing Fang away.

"Another Weasley, eh?" said Hagrid, glancing at Ron's freckles. "I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest."

The rock cakes almost broke my teeth, but I pretended to be enjoying them as we told Hagrid about our first lessons. Fang rested his head on my knee and drooled all over my robes, but I just stroked his ears softly.

I was delighted to hear Hagrid call Filch "That old git."

"An as fer that cat, Mrs Norris, I'd like ter introduce her ter Fang sometime. D'yeh know every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her - Filch puts her up to it."

Harry told Hagrid about Snapes lesson, whilst I listened silently. I still felt guilty about losing the points, but Hagrid told Harry not to worry about it, and that Snape liked hardly any students.

"But he seemed to really hate Mills and I."

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he?"

I couldn't help but think that Hagrid didn't quite look at us when he said that.

"How's yer brother Charlie?" Hagrid asked Ron. "I liked him a lot - great with animals."

I listened to Ron tell Hagrid about Charlie's work on dragons, pulling on a string at the end of my sleeve.

"Hagrid!" Harry said suddenly, holding up a cutting from the Daily Prophet that had been lying on the table. "That Gringotts break in happened that day in diagon alley! It might've happened while we were there!"

There was no doubt about it, Hagrid definitely didn't look at him this time.

In response to Harry's outburst, Hagrid grunted and offered him another rock cake. Harry politely refused and handed the paper clipping to me. I read it over. 'The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied earlier that same day'. Harry had told me that Hagrid emptied a mysterious vault, because of 'Hogwarts business'. What vault number was it? Ah yes, vault seven hundred and thirteen. But it was only a grubby, little package. Surely no-one would want to steal that.

As the three of us walked back to the castle for dinner, our pockets weighed down with rock cakes, I was deep in thought. Had Hagrid collected the package just in time? Where was it now? And did Hagrid know something about Snape that he didn't want to tell me?