52

MILLIES POV

"It's a sort of secret," Harry said. I fought the urge to roll my eyes, as McGonagall's nostrils flared.

"Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago," she said coldly. "He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off to London at once."

"He's gone?" said Harry frantically. "Now?"

"Professor Dumbledore is a very great wizard, Potter, he has many demands on his time-"

"But this is important."

"Something you have to say is more important than the ministry of magic, Potter?"

I answered before he could.

"Look," I said, throwing caution to the winds, "Professor - it's about the philosophers stone-"

Whatever Professor McGonagall had expected, it wasn't that. The books she was carrying tumbled out of her arms but she didn't pick them up.

"How do you know-" she spluttered.

"Professor, I think - I know - that Sn - that someone's going to try and steal the stone. We've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore."

She eyed me with a mixture of shock and suspicion.

"Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow," she said finally. "I don't know how you found out about the stone, but rest assured, no one can possibly steal it, it's too well protected."

"But Professor-"

"Donovan, I know what I'm talking about," she said shortly. She bent down and gathered up the fallen books. "I suggest you all go back outside and enjoy the sunshine."

We didn't.

"It's tonight," Harry said, as soon as Professor McGonagall was out of ear shot. "Snape's going through the trapdoor tonight. He's found out everything he needs and now he's got Dumbledore out of the way."

"He sent that note," I said. "I bet the ministry will get a real shock when Dumbledore turns up."

"But what can we-"

Mione gasped. I wheeled around.

Snape was standing there.

"Good afternoon," He started smoothly.

"Afternoon," I said calmly.

"You shouldn't be inside on a day like this," he said, with an odd, twisted smile.

"We were-" I began, without any idea what I was going to say.

"You want to more careful," said Snape. "Hanging around like this, people will think you're up to something. And Gryffindor really can't afford to lose any more points, can they?"

My cheeks turned red as we turned to go back outside, but Snape called us back.

"Be warned, Potter - any more night-time wanderings and I will personally make sure you are expelled. Good day to you."

He strode off in the direction of the staff room.

Out on the stone steps, Harry turned to us.

"Right, here's what we've got to do," he whispered urgently. My stomach flipped with excitement. "Two of us have got to keep an eye on Snape - wait outside the staff room and follow him if he leaves it. Hermione, you'd better do that. Millie, go with her."

"Why me?" Mione asked.

"It's obvious," said Ron. "You can pretend to be waiting for Flitwick, you know." He put on a high voice. "Oh, Professor Flitwick, I'm so worried, I think I got question fourteen b wrong ..."