38

MILLIES POV

As the match drew nearer, I became more and more nervous. The rest of the team weren't too calm, either. The idea of overtaking Slytherin in the house championship was wonderful, no one had done it for nearly seven years, but would we be able to, with such a biased referee?

I didn't know whether I was imagining it or not, but Harry and I seemed to keep running into Snape wherever I went. At times, I even wondered whether Snape was following me, trying to catch me on my own. Potions lessons were turning into a sort of weekly torture, Snape picked on us so much, despite our efforts in sticking up to him. Could Snape possibly know we'd found out about the philosophers stone? I couldn't see how he could - yet I sometimes had the horrible feeling that Snape could read minds.

I knew, when they wished Harry and I good luck outside the changing rooms next afternoon, that Ron and Hermione were wondering whether they'd ever see Harry alive again, and this didn't seem to help his irritable mood.

"Try to stay on your broomstick today, Potter," I whispered to him, as Oliver rambled on.

"I'll try," he said shakily.

"Something wrong?" I said casually. Harry turned his whole body to face me.

"Yes, there's something wrong. Snape's reffing. What if he does the same thing to my broom again? What if he tries to kill me?"

I smiled amusingly.

"Is there something funny?" he said angrily.

"No," I said. "You're just being a bit thick."

He gaped at me.

"What! How I -"

"You really think Dumbledore would let something like that happen to you?" I said, raising an eyebrow. "Perhaps you've forgotten - you go to Hogwarts, a school of magic. Yes, Snape can cast a spell, but so can we."

I winked, and before he could answer, strutted away to Angelina and Katie to discuss the game plan.

"Ready, Millie?" Angelina asked as I joined them.

"Sure am-"

"The whole schools out there!" called Fred, peering out the door. "Even - blimey - Dumbledore's come to watch!"

I smirked and looked over at Harry, who was staring at Fred like he was some sort of hero.

"Dumbledore?" Harry repeated, dashing to the door to make sure. But Fred was right. There was no mistaking that silver beard. Harry grinned and caught my eye.

'Told you,' I mouthed. He shook his head, smiling, before turning back to the door.

Perhaps that's why Snape was looking so angry as the teams marched onto the pitch.