25

MILLIES POV

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Mione was checking Ron's homework for him. She would never let him copy ('how will you learn?') but I knew his tactic. By asking her to read it through, he got the right answers anyway. Harry was busy talking to Dean and Seamus on the other side of the room, whilst I sat opposite Ron and Mione, staring quietly out of the window. I could feel butterflies dancing around in my stomach, my mind on the Quidditch Match tomorrow.

"What's wrong?" Harry said, jumping in an armchair next to me.

"There's nothing wrong," I said, continuing to stare out the window.

"Yes there is," Harry said. "You never stop talking normally."

"Miss it, do you?" I taunted, finally turning my head to face him.

"Nah," he said, smiling playfully. "I was just about to tell you how you should not talk more often. I like it better."

"Stop talking to me then," I sneered, returning my gaze to the window.

"Okay," I heard him reply, before adding, "I'm going to Snape."

"You'd rather talk to Snape over me?" I said sarcastically.

"Obviously," Harry said. "And especially today. I'm going to ask for the book back."

"Rather you than me," I said, but I had an idea that Snape wouldn't refuse if there were other teachers listening. Thinking that maybe it would take my mind off things, I pushed myself up and stood beside Harry.

"What're you doing?" he asked suspiciously.

"I'm coming," I said, and upon seeing him exchange an excited look with Ron, I added, "Not for you. For Snape."

I winked before leaving, Harry following quickly behind me.

We walked half of the way in silence, mainly because I was too stubborn to talk to him, before Harry groaned loudly.

"What?" I snapped.

"Why are you being so quiet, it's annoying," he moaned, running one of his hands through his hair.

"You literally said less that ten minutes ago that you like me being quiet," I said, scrunching my nose.

"Well, I've changed my mind," he replied, to which I rolled my eyes.

"I really hate you, you know," I said, quickening my pace to get away from him, but he just followed me.

"You don't hate me," he fired back. "I've never given you a reason to hate me. In fact, I think you kind of like me."

"Like you?" I laughed. "Yes, you're right."

"Really?" He said hopefully, nudging my side.

"Well, not you," I said. "I like insulting you."

He rolled his green eyes as I giggled, but my amusement soon vanished and turned to boredom, as he began rambling on about how some girl came and wished him luck for the match tomorrow.

We got there and Harry knocked, whilst I stood behind him in no mood to talk, especially with Snape, who I knew would just anger me even more. However, there was no answer. Harry knocked again. Nothing. I turned to leave but froze when Harry pushed the door ajar.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

"Maybe Snape's left the book in there," he said, peering around the door. I buried my head in my hands, but peered through my fingers when he gasped.

"What?"

"Look in there," He whispered, stepping back so I could look in. I sent him a confused expression, before glancing inside - a horrible sight met my eyes.

Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages.

"Blasted thing," Snape was saying. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?"

"Let's go," I whispered under my breath. Harry nodded and went to shut the door, but then-

"POTTER! DONOVAN!"

My head whipped up. Snape's face was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg. I gulped.

"I just wondered if I could have my book back," Harry said. I fought the urge to roll my eyes - if I was alone, I would have just ran.

"GET OUT! OUT!"

I didn't have to be asked twice. I grabbed Harry by the wrist and dragged him away from the door, before Snape could take any more points from Gryffindor. Harry paused from the shock of me pulling him away, so I just ran back up the stairs, panting and sweating. As much as I didn't like Harry, I didn't want Snape to catch him, because I had a feeling that if he did, I would be punished as well.

"Did you get it?" Ron asked as I clambered through the portrait hall, with Harry not far behind me.

"What's the matter?" Mione asked, catching a glimpse of my face as I dropped into an armchair. In a low whisper, Harry told them what we'd seen.

"You know what this means?" Harry finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him - he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to create a diversion."

Hermiones eyes were wide.

"No - he wouldn't," she said. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."

"Honestly, Hermione, you think all teachers are saints or something," said Ron.

"As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Potter," I said, ignoring the stupid grin that Harry sent me. "I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?"

That night, I lay wide awake. I tried to empty my mind - I needed to sleep, I had to - I had my first quidditch match in a few hours - but the expression on Snape's face when Harry and I had seen his leg was not easy to forget.