19

MILLIES POV

We flitted along corridors. At every turn, I expected to run into Filch or Mrs Norris, but we were lucky. We sped up a staircase to the third floor and tiptoed towards the trophy room.

Malfoy and Crabbe weren't there yet, so I walked around, observing the cups, shields, plate and statues which glimmered where the moonlight caught them...

"Boo!" Harry shouted, jumping out from the shadows. I screamed, before slapping my hands over my mouth.

"You idiot," I hissed, walking forwards and pushing him.

"Shut up," Harry whispered, a playful smile forming on his lips. "Your going to get us caught."

I stared at him in disbelief, before pointing out, "You just jumped out at me."

"No-"

"He's late, maybe he's chickened out."

Ron's voice came from in front of us, and I gratefully walked over to him and away from Harry, who I could feel was still looking at me.

Then a noise in the made me jump again, and I whipped my head around angrily, half-expecting Harry to have made someone else jump, but instead, he was standing with his wand raised, listening closely.

"Sniff around, my sweet, they might be lurking in a corner." It was Filch speaking to Mrs Norris.

Waving madly at the us to follow him, Harry scurried silently towards the door, away from Filch's voice. I begrudgingly followed him, and Neville's robes had barely whipped round the corner when I heard Filch enter the trophy room.

"They're in here somewhere," I heard him mutter, "probably hiding."

'This way' Harry mouthed to us and, petrified, we began to creep down a long gallery full of suits of armour. I could hear Filch getting nearer - then it happened.

Neville let out a frightened squeak and broke into a run - he tripped, grabbed Ron round the waist and they both fell right into a suit of armour. The clanging and crashing were enough to wake the whole castle.

"RUN!" I yelled, and the five of us sprinted down the gallery, not looking back to see whether Filch was following - we swung around the doorpost and galloped down one corridor then another, with me in the lead without any idea where we were or where we were going. Harry ripped through a tapestry and we found ourselves in a hidden passageway. Hurtling along it, we came out near our charms classroom, which I knew was miles away from the trophy room.

"I think we've lost him." Harry panted, leaning against the cold wall and wiping his forehead.

Neville was hanging on to me, wheezing and spluttering.

"I - told - you," Mione gasped, clutching her chest. "I - told - you."

"We've got to get back to Gryffindor tower," I said, ignoring her.

"Quickly as possible." Ron added.

"Malfoy tricked you," Mione said to Harry. "You realise that, don't you? He was never going to meet you - Filch knew someone was going to be in the trophy room, Malfoy must have tipped him off."

She was probably right, but I wasn't going to admit it.

Harry just looked at her and then said "let's go."

We hadn't gone more than a dozen paces, however, when a doorknob rattled and something came shooting out of a classroom in front of us.