81. ALPHA

KAEA

If it weren't for the fact that it was all the Alpha's idea and what he wanted in the first place, Kyle would've turned this place upside down. As the Alpha sat on resigned his post dishonourably, something he was supposed to do after Kyle was ready with his Luna, something he should have wanted to do rather than have other people forcing his hand.

I could feel his anger inside him like a tight coil, but he was keeping a surprising amount of grip on himself.

The Alpha had told us both to speak the truth, but significantly decrease Kyle's part in it. While Kyle had beaten him bloodier than what we told the Gamma, he hadn't beaten him half to death. That had been his father.

His mother didn't try to save her brother from her mate's rage.

There was no need for both of them to go out for this, for both of them to be punished, the Alpha said, but as I looked at Kyle, and recalled what Kyle later told me the Gamma had said to him, I wondered if he actually escaped punishment. There's nothing worse in the world than having someone you love be punished in your place. No feeling heavier than guilt.

As soon as his father resigned, some people hugged him, and then Kyle went ahead, and very quietly signed the papers. The ritual and festivities would be done later. But for now, he was the Alpha.

A few people clapped, including me, who had noticed him quietly doing his thing, but then Mason, Abigail, Andrew and his entire football team noticed it, and they laughed and clapped loudly. "Woohoo!" He shouted, and I shook my head, amused. Sarah had her head in her hands, absolutely embarrassed.

Kyle shook his head, too.

And just like that- the mood lightened. As the previous Alpha went to him and clapped him on his back, hoards of people came to congratulate him. Some still maintained their distance but didn't look hateful. One or two looked pissed, which was bound to happen.

But Kyle laughed, and I laughed with him. An Alpha without a Luna.

I was beginning to think he needed one.

KYLE

To my utter surprise, people were treating me like I was some sort of hero. They were patting me on the back and congratulating me for being brave. And I was very, very confused.

When all of it had been done, my father took me to his office, Kaea and her father just behind them. "This is yours now."

Everything had been lowkey, but I kind of enjoyed it that way. I was already nervous as it is. I would much rather have to sign a couple pieces of paper, than to fuck up an ancient ritual and lose all trust of the people.

I sat on the desk. "Your butt became quite large, Dad."

He huffed. "Sitting on the desk will do that to you."

I smiled, and looked to Beta Avans. "I hope to learn a lot from you, sir."

He looked at Kaea, who nodded encouragingly. She wasn't going to take on the post of Beta until her studies were going on.

And if you asked me, she was meant to be by my side in a different way.

He looked at me, and I was surprised to find warmth in his eyes. "Well, son, for starters, you should stop calling me 'sir'."

"Of course, uhhh...."

"Avans?" He suggested.

"Can we please stick with 'sir'?" I asked, and my father laughed. "I will call you Avans once I actually know more than you do."