74. DOWN WE GO

KYLE

I'd rather cut my right hand off than have this idiot meet Kaea. Absolutely not happening. But when I came back home, he was not there.

Good.

I was still pissed off at myself for spilling everything in front of her. She wasn't the kind of person who would sit quietly, and I had no idea if this man was actually dangerous or just looked it to me.

I wrapped the hand wraps, and for the second time within 24 hours, found myself in front of the punching bag again. I hated feeling helpless. I was trying to change and the universe was keen on just pissing me the fuck off.

I punched it hard, and my hand throbbed with pain. Some tension released from my body. This felt like something I could control and so, I punched again.

I tried to control my breathing, not letting my anger get the better of me. But it was simmering just beneath the surface. I hated myself, hated myself for not being able to do anything. Not wanting to do anything. For feeling even an ounce of fear for someone like him.

I wouldn't. Fuck that guy. He has no control over me.

I punched again, and again, and again.

KAEA

There is never any respite in this relationship, huh?

"Hey!" My mother called out as I closed the door.

I put my bag on the dining table, and she was sitting in the drawing-room, knitting. For someone who was a total tomboy, she sure had a lot of maternal hobbies.

The rest of the day had been just a super long nauseating feeling. I knew it wasn't my place to interrupt, but my stomach was a ball of anxiety every time I thought about it. I wasn't worried about his physical health, he would sucker punch the bastard so hard, he would never be able to use HIS face properly again. No, it was his mental health.

He had just opened up to me. I knew he was not in the best mental place, and I dreaded what his uncle being there would do to him. Some wounds take time to heal, and some you bury so deep that when they come out, they destroy so much in the process.

The bell rang, and I looked up confused. My mother went to the door and opened it, and I heard gasps of delight. "Roger!"

I have heard that name before. I frowned.

"Oh! What a surprise!" My mother was still smiling. It was in her voice. "It has been more than a decade." She chided.

Oh no.

"Yeah, well." A surprisingly gruff but pleasant voice answered. "Time passes." He laughed, but it grated in my ears. "I brought something for you."

"Thank you." There was a sound of plastic being crumpled. "Please come in."

"Oh, where is Kaea? She must be all grown-up now."

Bugs were crawling across my skin.

"Oh, she is just here." My mother gestured at the kitchen, and the man and I saw each other.

"Oh, Kaea! How much you have grown!" He smiled amiably, and I wanted to break all of his teeth. I didn't smile, keeping a straight face.

"Hello."

My mother was a little put-off. The man noticed my coldness in an instant, and his eyes shone.

"Please sit." She told him, and gestured to me to come along. I did, reluctantly.

We sat on the couch. My mother and him on the same couch, and I on the smaller one beside theirs.

"Would you like something to drink?"