35. WHAT AM I EVEN DOING?

KYLE

She looked amazing, smelt amazing. Even when she was smart mouthing me, all my blood flew south as I saw her. As it did every time.

I had nearly stayed up all night, on the couch, thinking of her in the purple sequin days, and then trying to not think about her. And then failing again.

Morning woods were not convenient.

Trying to not think about how she thought she was less beautiful, how she teared up everytime I spoke.

But even that couldn't help my dick.

So I had just sighed, refusing to use her thoughts to lure me in, and then went to sleep.

Only to wake up and realize that I would be spending the whole day with her.

And as I searched online for a couple of tickets to the fair a city over, I wondered for the trillionth time, what my intentions were. I didn't know. I didn't care.

I just wanted to make her happy- just once. Hopefully, I wouldn't be ruining a lot of good memories for her, which would just end up with her hating me even more.

Every time she spoke, Sarah's words came back to me. Let her go.

I would if I could. But I couldn't. My mind refused to delve deeper into the topic. I was so afraid of pushing her away, so much that now I was planning on taking her to weird dates.

I refused to think what it meant.

I was refusing a lot of things lately. It will one day definitely bite me in the ass.

But I refused to think about that either.

I called Mason. "Mason, could you take care of Abigail this Thursday?"

"Why? What are you doing?"

"Work."

He knew I was lying. I knew he knew. "Fine. Wait, what? Abigail isn't some dog. She has a home." He paused, then cursed like a sailor. "Unless...?"

"Yeah. She is staying with me right now."

"She isn't under age. She can get a job and all. She knows that she doesn't need to depend on her father right?"

"I have told her that, man. She is scared. I don't blame her."

"Yeah, no. I understand that. Where is she right now?"

"My place." I sighed. "My parents like her, but they know she is not my mate. They don't approve of the relationship."

"What relationship?" He was joking, but it was true.

"Thanks, man."

"Whatever." He cut the phone.

I lay down on my bed, as Abi used the bathroom. Fortunately, my room was mostly clean, so it wasn't embarrassing for me.

She came out, wearing pyjama shorts and a top, and then sat down at the edge of my bed. "Thank you, Kyle. You didn't have to do that."

"Abi. You know you would've done the same for me."

She laughed, tiredness seeping into it. "You would never be stupid enough to stay with your abuser."

I froze. "No, yeah. It's not your fault. But-"

"I know. I know. I am eighteen. I can do some things, that I was scared to do before."

A pregnant pause followed, in which neither she, nor I said anything. I waited.

"I am going to file a complaint, Kyle." She said softly. "I am going to get out of that house. Go somewhere better."

"You wouldn't have to leave." I told her. "You do know who the Alpha is, right? And you know what the punishment for physical abuse is?"

She shook her head.

"Your father will be exiled, most likely."

She froze. "I don't- I-"

"We are not killing him, Abi. He will be asked to evacuate his house, since he is renting it from the pack, and he will be told to leave this area of the town. You'll never have to see him again."

Tears dripped from her eyes. "But he is my only surviving family. I can't just- I can't."

"It's your decision." I stood up, handing her a tissue. "But you need to ask yourself if family treats each other that way."

I stepped out of my room.

"Kyle?"

"Yeah?"

"Tell Kaea, that I am grateful that she is keeping this a secret."

I walked back into the room. "I-"

"You know, when I asked you for that gift? I didn't think you would do it. We have had something, and it's more than anything in my entire life. And I am sorry I couldn't let it go.

"I was just taking a huge gamble. A clean cut, ripping off the bandage, so to speak. You are either with her or me. I didn't realize-" she looked me in the eyes "- that even if you were with me, you would always be with her. Mate or not."

"Abi-"

"No. I am sorry. And this is coming from me. So if you still think you don't feel something very deep for her, you're being an insane amount of foolish."

I didn't say anything. I didn't know what I would say.

"Oh, also, in my jealousy, I might have taunted her a little too much."

Shit.

"What did you say?"

"I...erm...something along the lines of that you were planning to make me the Luna?"

"I was, but you didn't need to tell her that!" I shook my head.

She gave me a blank stare, wiping her cheeks. "If you didn't want to let her know, then you were not really planning it, were you?" She smiled through the tears. "Kyle, even I knew before you did. You both are the idiots, but you are the biggest of them all."

I sighed. "Just sleep. You need it."

Goddess knows, I need some things too.

_____________________________________________
In the media box, you'll find 'Let Her Go by The Passenger'.

Sorry for the delay!

K R Y S T L E