63. DEIRDRE

KYLE

She deserves to know. My mind kept telling me. Just tell her. Just go, tell her.

My wolf had stopped talking to me long ago, but hadn't shunned his responsibility, letting me change. So, I was sure it was not him.

No, that was some weird, sadistic, cruel part of my mind that wanted to experience that slap one more time. I deserved it, I knew that. But that doesn't make the suffering any better. I didn't feel any better than I did last night. It was a little after the crack of dawn.

I got up to shower.

KAEA

I woke up at the crack of dawn. Why? Because my father really likes to multitask. Hey, you wanna go to a college that is three hours away? How about we take a little detour and make it five hours? There's this guy I need to talk to...

I sighed. There wasn't much I could do about that.

I showered, changed into nice but comfortable clothes. Jeans and nice T-shirt with 'Fall Out Boy' on it, from my edgy teenager phase. I still loved them, but I had outgrown the merch. Tells you how much effort I was putting in today.

I went downstairs, and a toast and a couple sunny-side up eggs were tossed into my plate. I looked at my mother, and I knew she was anxious. She wouldn't look at me, and her smile felt forced.

"Mom?"

"Yes, honey?"

"I hope you are not upset with me."

She turned around, a tight smile on her lips. "Not with you, no. Just a little sad."

"I am not moving today."

"I know, I know." She turned back to the stove. "But you will. I didn't think I'd ever have to deal with that." She laughed a little, and glanced back at me, as I took a bite of my breakfast. I didn't know what to say to her.

"This is delicious." I told her.

"Thanks." She went back to the cooking, but glanced back again. "I was talking to the Luna about this." I froze. "And, she was quite surprised to know this. I thought Kyle would tell her."

My heart raced. Should I lie to her? But I had lied to her so much already. No, mom, I am happy. No, mom, school is fine. I swear, mom, I have friends. Mom, you don't need to worry. Everything's fine.

She wouldn't think of me as weak now. I had come out of that. I was better.

"Yeah... I didn't tell him."

She raised her eyebrows. Mothers are so sly sometimes- I obviously wasn't telling her anything she didn't already know.

"Oh, and why is that?" She asked, the slightest hint of interrogation in her question.

"I... thought I would tell him once this was all finalised."

"Oh?"

I shrunk a little. I was going to be the beta, this was not something that you told your alpha or luna the last minute. You tell them as soon as possible. But I hadn't lied- despite how irresponsible it was, I was going to tell him when it was finalised.

But with the rage I had been feeling since last night, that was perhaps not my own, I guessed he already knew. The last few days I had been feeling all of his extreme emotions, and I had been trying to hide my own as much as possible.

"Your father is waiting by the car. He is giving it a wash."

I nodded and got up, finishing my last bite.