50. 8K

KAEA

The meeting was a success. I mean, Kyle had ready told me that the school would agree but I had come out feeling more hyped and excited about the even than ever.

He smiled softly when he saw how excited I was, and it reminded me of that day in the fair.

"That was good." He commented.

"It was." I was smiling so wide, but I knew it would disappear quick enough. I didn't want to spoil our mood but I had to.

"Can I ask you something?"

He stilled, and then gave one single jerk of his head.

Ask it, ask it, ask it. What did Abigail mean yesterday?

"Nothing."

Great fucking save, Kaea.

He looked at me for two seconds. It was Kyle, so I knew he didn't really care that I wanted to ask something and then just dodged it.

So I was surprised as fuck when he grabbed my shoulder gently for one second. Every touch lit my body on fire, and ever since my bitterness for him had decreased, it was happening even more.

It was only a second, but he never touched me carelessly, so I turned, eyes wide.

"You can ask me anything you want." He whispered.

I blinked and nodded. And then walked out. Kyle scared me sometimes being this...whatever this was. I never had any idea how to handle this side of him. When we were having fun, inside some element, I could distract myself a little. Blame it on the high.

But just him and me? That scared me more than I would like to admit. That vulnerability between us scared me.

Tomorrow morning, maybe we will have a better idea.

***

"A fair?! Can I help, pretty please?" Lee asked me, sitting at my bed.

"Yeah, for sure. We need volunteers, lots of them. But won't this affect your grade in other subjects?"

A letter of recommendation had been promised from the mayor (who obviously knew of werewolves) to high schoolers who helped. Our high school had some humans, but our settlement was huge, and it was one of the first werewolf settlements in the world. The city was made of 60% weres, and the humans who went to our school obviously knew of us, if they lived in our neighbourhood. We hid it from the rest.

The Alpha and the Mayor shared power, but the werewolves were obviously entirely under the Alpha's control.

But the Mayor was a pretty awesome human being, he did whatever he could to help us adjust, while demanding peace and help from us whenever he needed it. It was a good deal.

And a letter of recommendation from him would be powerful stuff.

But people serious about their grades still had to contemplate giving so much of their time and energy to the fair instead of their studies.

"It would affect your grades too, wouldn't it?" Lee yawned.

I paused, biting my lips. "Actually..."

She sat straight like a needle. "Oh my god...have you changed your mind?"

I bit my lip again. Leaving the physical premises of the pack did not mean you left the pack. You could go out, have a life, live anywhere you wanted, but you always had to come back when your Alpha called you. If you didn't, you were a rogue.

I had wanted to go rogue so bad.

"Maybe?" I raised an eyebrow. "I am not sure."

"Is it because of Kyle?"