76. CRIMES OF THE GOOD MEN

KYLE

"The Gamma and the Beta are here." My mother knocked on the door, and I woke up, kind of in a daze. I noticed my arms around someone, and I held tighter, not wanting to wake up. Her scent calmed me, and I nuzzled my nose below her ear. She shifted closer to me.

I wanted to selfishly wake her up, but for something as bad as this? No.

I woke up, gently removing my hand from her waist, and her head from my shoulders. I want to say it was the best sleep I had got in ages, which it kind of was. But it was also severely depressing.

Putting on a shirt, I breathed in deep. The Gamma was reserved for emergency matters, either when both the Alpha and the Beta were unavailable, or when they were too close to the situation to make an informed, unbiased decision. The head of the justice. Elected by people. The one who held the Alpha and the Beta accountable.

This is why violence is never the answer. It invites more trouble than it solves.

I breathed again, finding the strength to go out. I could act all casual, like this wasn't a big deal. Thing is, I didn't want to. I wanted to get it done, once and for all.

"Where are you going?" Kaea mumbled.

"Your father is here. And... so is the Gamma."

She sat up, looking serious. "I am going to be down as soon as possible."

I nodded.

Gamma Lucien was one hell of a woman. I couldn't think of a single person in the entire pack, including both the Alpha and the Beta, who weren't impressed by her brusque and objective attitude. She was a serious woman, who had zero tolerance for bullshit. Or taking justice into their own hands.

Yeah, things looked pretty good for me.

I went down, and Roger was sitting on the sofa, a steaming cup of coffee in his hands. He looked...much worse than I had left him. I glanced at my parents, standing at the sides, and at Kaea's father standing next to them. My father looked away as I held his eyes. Shit.

Both of Roger's eyes were bruised, he had a huge swollen lip, and his body was blue and purple and yellow. I definitely did not beat him that much.

Gamma Lucien was looking at me, her eyes hard and thoughtful. She had noticed me staring at Roger. She raised one thick blonde eyebrow, and I saw that for all her composure, she had come here in a hurry. Her clothes and short hair were both messy, and there were bags under her eyes.

"Did you do that?" She asked me. No nonsense, as I said.

"Lucien, I told you, it was me-"

"Alpha Kovich, with all due respect, this was a question intended for your son." She hand't even looked away from me.

"Of course, he was. This little runt." Roger snarled, sipping loudly on his coffee.

My mother tightened her fists, and for a second I wondered who the fuck actually beat him this bad. My mother had great emotional and mental strength, but she wasn't exactly a fighting champion.

Just then, Kaea came inside the room, and she did a double take at Roger.

The Gamma noticed that as well. "Aren't you the Beta's daughter?" She asked her, narrowing her eyes.

"Ye-Yes." Kaea said.

"May I know what you are doing here?"

Kaea looked at me, at her father, and my parents. "I..." Yeah, this was nice time to announce that we're mates.