31. NOT HER

KYLE

The door was open when I reached her home. I peeked inside, blood boiling, smelling the alcohol all over the house.

"Abi?" I called out. Nobody answered. I took some more steps inside, and called out into a hallway again. "Abigail?"

"Kyle?" Someone whimpered. I rushed down.

She was crying, and her face was a mess. She started sobbing even harder when she saw me, shaking her head repeatedly. "I am sorry. I am so sorry." She sniffed again. "I am sorry."

I took her in my arms, but as soon as I lay my hand on her back to soothe her, she flinched and gasped.

"What the fuck did he do to you?" I whispered to her. That son of a bitch. That absolute, fucking bastard. He was not going to be free this time.

She started crying again. "I am so sorry."

"Why are you sorry, Abi? You did nothing."

"I didn't want to involve you into this. But- but I was so scared. I was so scared, Kyle."

I hugged her again, closing my eyes so I could think straight through this anger. "Don't be." I told her. "It's not your fault. Don't be."

KAEA

"Where are we going?" I asked Lee, as she led me through the streets. It was dark, and I was grateful for the absence of lights.

"Home, Kaea. But you'll have to be very quiet when we reach there. Or your parents will kill us both."

I put a finger on lips. "Shhh...."

"Yes, shhhh..."

But as soon as we turned a corner, I started hearing the wind. It was whispering, and as I turned to Lee to tell her this, she said, "Fuck."

I saw where she was looking at, and two people sat on the porch of a house. One of them I felt I knew. In the inside of my bones. I knew that person.

Who were they?

"Let's just...aw, fuck."

The taller one was calling out to Lee. He wasn't looking at me, and I wanted him to look at me. I wanted him to see me, and I wasn't even sure who he was.

"Sorry, Kaea." Lee bit her lip. "I did not see this coming."

"What the fuck are you both doing here." The guy said, and I knew who he was. The bane of my heart, of course. I closed my eyes; I didn't want him to look at me.

"Lee?"

"Going home. Is that a problem now?" Lee's voice was icy cold.

"Do her parents know she is out?" He asked, his voice equally chilly, but something inside was breaking. I could hear it. I didn't want to.

"Why do you care?" I opened my eyes, looking around. Where were we?

"Because... because I will be your Alpha one day."

"Never." I thought.

"What?" Lee asked. "What are you talking about?"

Suddenly, I remembered who lived on this street. And then I remembered the pain that I had suffered the night after I discovered that Kyle was my mate.

Someone laughed. "You think I am going to be with him? Every day of my life? You think I want to look at him? Oh Lee, I will go so far away."

Her eyes filled with disbelief. Kyle was looking at me. Eyes hard. "You are drunk."

"No."

And then his eyes filled with disgust. "It's not safe at night. I will drop you both home. I have a car."

I almost laughed again at Lee's expression.

"Don't. Please go back to your darling. We are okay. Are we not, Lee?"

She looked at the dark street, and then looked at me. "Actually..."

"Alright. You go. I will walk." I wanted to go. I wanted him to come to me at nights. I wanted... I wanted to puke.

I held it together, somehow.

"Go to her. I am sure she is waiting for you."

His jaw ticked. I knew what that meant. "Kaea, you are coming with me or both of your parents will know."

I stared at him, and he stared back. "Fine." I muttered.

He turned, and I thought of running away but Lee said, "There are worse people than Kyle on the streets at night."

I sighed loudly.

We walked behind him, Lee ahead of me, and me staring at his back. I didn't want to look towards the right, where she might be standing. I didn't want to look at anything that reminded me of what-ifs.

But then why was I looking at Kyle?

KYLE

I could feel her eyes on my back. I sighed. Did everything have to happen tonight?

I had left Abigail at the porch, where she was still sitting, staring blankly ahead. "Abi?"

She started, and looked at me. She noticed the people behind me, and just tilted her head. I was surprised she wasn't raging, considering how much she didn't like Kaea anywhere near me.

She looked down.

"Is she okay?" Lee asked me.

"None of your business." I snapped.

"Don't you talk to her like that." Kaea snapped back, and for some reason, my mind was going crazy about the fact that she was talking to me. Openly. Snapping and snipping, but saying something that wasn't breaking me apart.

But when I looked at her, she was staring at Abigail. She was drunk, so drunk that she started walking towards Abigail, who didn't notice her, until she was standing in front of her.

"Are you okay?" She asked, but Abigail sneered at her. "Fuck off."

She whispered it softly, but anger rose within me like a hurricane. I took a deep breath, and decided that it was something I would work on later.

Kaea stood up, and tilted her head. When she turned, there were tears in her eyes.

"I don't want to go with you." She whispered to me, faces inches apart from mine.

"I am sorry." I told Kaea, but helping Abigail to her feet.

"Stay at my place, alright?"

She started shaking her head, but I held her firm. "Abi."

"Where will I go, Kyle? I will have no home. People will talk-" She whispered frantically, her gaze constantly going back to Kaea and Lee. "I can't. I can't. What- where?"

"Abi, we will figure it out. You will put in a complain and-."

"No, no. He is going to kill me, Kyle, he is-"

"Alright." I conceded. "Alright, one step at a time. But you are not staying here tonight."

I led her to my car, and Lee and Kaea followed. Lee and Abi sat, but Kaea was staring at me. "I am not her, am I, Kyle?"

She whispered softly, and got into the car, right beside me.

No. For some reason, you are so much more.

_____________________________________
In the media box, you'll find, "I'm not her by Julia Brennan". Kind of a perfect fit for this chapter.

Hope you enjoyed this!

K R Y S T L E