86. SAPPHIRES AND DIAMONDS

KYLE

Four Years Later

"I cannot believe you haven't done it yet." Mason huffed.

"Gotta save something for marriage."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "And when will that be?"

"Whenever Kaea says yes."

"And when will that be?"

"I sure hope today."

Sarah widened her eyes, forgetting to staple the banner entirely. "Today?" She whispered, excitedly.

"Maybe," I whispered back.

"Oh my god, have you picked up the ring?" She asked, and my eyes inadvertently went to the golden circle on her finger, a more feminine version of Mason's ring.

"Of course."

She made a sound of glee that I would have never expected from someone as mature and level-headed as her to make. She looked at Mason, who was staring at her with wide eyes.

"I am sorry, I am so excited for her."

"What's up?" Lee asked, putting a bunch of cups underneath the banner. I raised my eyebrow at her, and she looked at Sarah and Mason trying to recover their expressions. "Oh. You told them?"

"You knew?!" Mason said, and I cringed. I knew he was going to throw a tantrum if he got to know I told Lee before I told him.

This man. I wondered how was he grown-ass married man, expecting his first child.

"She helped me pick up the ring," I said before Lee threw some snarky comment his way.

"Don't tell anyone else. Especially Abigail." I said. Mason threw me an expression that said obviously. Abigail wasn't too good at hiding secrets from Andrew, and Andrew would rather puke for 24 hours straight than lie to someone's face.

I got down and looked up at the banner. "Welcome home, Luna!", it said. The kids from the orphanage had painted it and ended up being blue and yellow themselves. I smiled. Kaea was the Luna, except we still hadn't come around to saying those words.

I don't know what it was, but it was like after all we had said, we were waiting for the perfect moment to say it.

"She is here, guys!" Abigail shouted as a car sounded outside Kaea's home, her mother and father bringing her back home after her graduation. We all hid behind couches and doors, crouching down as she walked up opening the door.

"I have to go meet, Kyle...I promised-"

"It won't hurt you to spend 30 minutes with us, Kaea."

She quit then. I had told her I wouldn't be able to come to pick her up. Two reasons for that: I had to prepare for this party.

And I knew if I was alone with her for long enough, there was no way I would end up sputtering the truth.

She opened the door, and the whole lot of us, cramped into this modestly sized home, that would obviously still fall short for all of her friends, all of the kids, all of the important members of the council, some classmates from our high school, and one small someone I was going to give to her.

She was still asleep upstairs. I had found her loitering around this house, and" I had looked at her small, cute face and knew she was ours.

"Surprise!" Everyone said as soon as she opened the door, and a grin slowly spread on her face, brightening twice as soon as she spotted me.