[12]

Emma walked through the halls of the Lockwood home, backtracking down the same path which Tony had led her though only moments before. She tried to be as quiet as possible. Although, knowing about the heightened senses of vampires, she doubted Klaus wouldn't be able to hear her if he were listening. She could only hope that he was too focused on his guest to realize.

It was when she came upon a corner which would lead her out into the foyer that she heard voices. The sound of an ongoing conversation letting her know that she hadn't been caught yet. "Or I could watch my hybrids tear you limb from limb." She could hear Klaus making his threats and as she peaked from beyond the corner, she could see his back turned to her while the other man stood just beyond the entrance, unable to get inside.

"They can't kill me." He spoke with confidence, his tone almost mocking as he stared down Klaus. He seemed so sure he had the upper hand, so sure that everything was going according to plan. Emma, of course, had no idea what his plan was. Or Klaus' for that matter. And she was starting to suspect that perhaps she really should have just gone to the backyard and waited it out. But call it curiosity, or call it stupid suicidal bravery, she was here now.

"True. But it'll make a hell of a party game. All I have to do is rub these two fingers together and they'll pounce." Klaus spoke, and even though she was unable to see his face, Emma could only imagine the smirk adorning his lips. But looking beyond the porch of the house, her eyes catching sight of Tony standing among a group of Hybrids, Emma remembered the information Rebekah shared with her. And she remembered one thing Klaus seemed to forget.

"The big bad wolf. You haven't changed. Still hiding behind your playthings like a coward." Mikael continued to taunt, obviously hoping to get a rise out of Klaus. Hoping to lure him out of the house which he could not enter to get to him. "You only forget. They may be sired by you, but they're still part vampire. And they can be compelled by me."

Whether Klaus was surprised or thrown by the reminder, Emma couldn't see. His body language gave nothing away, and without seeing his face she couldn't be sure of what he might be thinking in the moment as he watched Mindy drag a stumbling Elena and push her towards Mikael.

"Come out and face me, Niklaus. Or she dies." Mikael threatened.

Emma knew Rebekah hadn't shared all the information about her family during their night of bonding. She didn't expect her to either. After a thousand years, it isn't too hard to imagine there might be a story or two one isn't too willing to divulge. And watching as Mikael, so hell-bent on destroying Klaus, now stood there, Emma could understand why he'd be something you wish to skip over.

"Go ahead. Kill her." Klaus continued to remain calm, acting as if he couldn't care less. His words made Elena begin to plead, believing Mikael intended to do as he said. Emma wasn't sure whether Klaus thought Mikael was lying or whether he was playing a game of his own.

"If she dies, this lot will be last of your abominations." Mikael reminded simply, his choice of words making a frown come over Emma's face as she could see the underlying insult within them. The hybrids were the same as Klaus. Calling them abominations was calling him one too. And while Emma was sure there were a couple of bad things about Klaus that could be listed off by those who knew him, what he was wasn't one of them certainly.

"I don't need them. I just need to be rid of you." Klaus spat at his father defiantly. Emma couldn't see his face, but as she listened to his words it wasn't hard to catch on to the resentment hidden beneath them. It made her believe that he was completely convinced in what he'd said.

"To what end, Niklaus? So you can live forever, with no one at your side? Nobody cares about you anymore, boy! What do you have other than those whose loyalty you forced? No one. No one." Emma could definitely see why Klaus wanted to be rid of Mikael.