[16]

Emma laughed along politely to something the mayor said as she swirled the half full champagne glass in her hand. As expected, she was bored. So much so, that when Klaus offered it to her, she accepted. One wouldn't kill her, and just holding it would give her something to busy herself with moments like these when Klaus and Mrs. Lockwood's conversation took a quick turn towards the flirtatious.

To make matters worse, they hybrid Klaus chose to accompany him for the evening wasn't one of those Emma had already been introduced to. When Klaus announced one would be joining them, Emma really hoped it's be Tony. He was fun and, unlike other hybrids, actually gave her the time of day. The others were to Klaus obsessed to believe they could ever take their eye off of him to speak with her it would seem.

"You know Carol when I think of a mayor I think of an old fuddy-duddy, but you really have changed my perception!" Yup, Emma was really starting to feel like she was about to gag. And as mayor Lockwood giggled and thanked Klaus for his complement, she was about to excuse herself. Even mingling with old farts whose proudest moment is that they're a member of a founding family seemed better than this. But then things turned around.

"Look at what the cat dragged in. Nice vest." Damon snarked as he approached their position, finally bringing an end to Carol and Klaus' flirty exchange. Emma suspected this might be the one and only time when she'd be grateful for the appearance of Damon Salvatore.

"Thank you very much, good to see you, Damon. Carol and I were discussing about whether you would be the other big benefactor." Klaus smirked at the Salvatore, almost as if mocking him. But hey, if they planned on having a pissing contest over which one donated more money, at least this one would be for a good cause.

"What do you say Damon? Klaus has made a very generous pledge. You know how we're chomping at the bit to begin the renovation." Carol turned to the younger vampire curiously, hoping to draw some money from his pocket as well.

"Carol, don't take this the wrong way," Damon started to say, his face already scrunching up in that way where he was about to say something that will definitely be taken the wrong way. "But do you realize that you've been kissing the ass of an immortal hybrid who ruined your son's life?" Emma had to pretend that she was drinking from her glass in that particular moment as she tried to hide the chuckle that threatened to escape her. Damon did, somewhat, have a point. Although, Emma suspected nobody wanted to hear her say that out loud.

"Oh, come now. Some would say that I saved it from all that nasty full moon business." Klaus said tenderly, turning back to the mayor with the utmost sympathy in his voice as he continued. "I've never had to go through it myself more than twice, to be honest, but still, I'm very sympathetic."

While she suspected he was playing the part with only one goal in mind, she couldn't help but wonder whether some of it was real. She didn't know much about werewolves, but only imagining how painful the transformation might be, perhaps really did see what he was doing as saving them. Independent of what the werewolves he'd turned thought themselves.

"Klaus has promised to protect Tyler, Damon. And our town." Carol pointed out to the Salvatore, wanting to stop any argument from erupting before the seed was even planted. "And Emma assures me he can and intends to keep that promise." Carol's addition had Damon's annoyed eyes turning to her while all Emma did in response was send him a sickly-sweet smile as she rose her glass as if saying 'Cheers'. They both knew she was lying through her teeth. God knows what Klaus intended to do with this damn town.

"From whom? His hybrids are the one the town needs protection from." Damon pointed out, thinking he'd make some headway with his argument, but alas, both Klaus and Emma weren't about to be stumped.