[52]

"You do realize we didn't actually know any of these people, right?" Emma questioned her mother as the two stood in the Mystic Falls church for the memorial service. "And that just two days ago, their little deputy pawns almost shot me?" She added on, not understanding why her mother was so adamant on the fact that they have to be there.

"I work at the hospital, I'm a part of this community. Not showing up is looking like I don't care. How can I ask for trust of my patients then?" Marissa pointed out, but noticed the silent message in Emma's expression. 'And me?' it basically asked. "And as you said, who knows how many people the council involved in their hunt and who might continue it. Avoiding it makes you seem suspicious."

"Well, I hope you don't expect me to cry too." Emma grumbled in a disinterested tone. Not only were the deaths of the council members a good thing for any supernatural creature living in Mystic Falls, but it was also a riddle. Something didn't make sense about it, and Emma didn't like it.

Was it really suicide? Did the humans really get so discouraged from their one loss in the battle against vampires that they just decided to call it quits? That made absolutely no sense. There had to be something else about it that she wasn't seeing. And she didn't like not knowing all the facts.

Sure it could have been one of the vampires who wasn't too thrilled about the idea of being hunted in their own town. But the list of possibilities was short. That night Klaus had left town shortly after Emma had seen him, but not before snapping Rebekah's neck and rendering her useless for the time frame in which the explosion happened. And Kol, who'd told her all about it, spent the night with her. The only other vampire she could think capable of committing mass murder was Damon. But his style was more along the lines of make them dinner, not blow them up.

"Well, at least put in an effort to show some kind of displeasure about it." Marissa scolded her daughter, with a shake of her head. Eyes scanning around the low number of people already gathered inside, she spotted someone in the crowd. "I'm gonna go talk to the Sheriff."

"Since when are you friends with the Sheriff?" Emma questioned in surprise, never having heard her mother even mention talking to Liz Forbes until today.

"For someone in our situation," Marissa said, and by the tone of her voice it wasn't hard for Emma to gather which situation her mother meant; her father, "A Sheriff who knows about vampires is exactly the type of friend I should have. Go find us some seats." Marissa instructed.

"Sure, I'll just jump to the bathroom before that." Emma nodded her head and watched her mother walk away before doing the same herself. She didn't feel like mingling around with all the mourning people, all discussing what had happened for any longer than she absolutely needed to. The bathroom seemed like a good place to give herself some extra time to avoid it.

And it wasn't hard to find. There were enough signs and directions plastered across the walls so that anyone could find whatever room they were looking for. Happy to find the bathroom unoccupied, Emma closed the door behind her. Moving to stand in front of the mirror, she let the water run and turn cold while she fixed some of the stray strands of hair that the soft wind messed up on the walk over.

Her little moment of peace was suddenly disrupted as someone rushed into the bathroom, the door closing behind them with a bang. Emma turned around, coming face to face with a rather terrible looking Elena. The Gilbert's wide eyes took in the brunette standing in front of the mirror, but before she could even decide what to do about it, she rushed to the toilet, basically collapsing beside it as her body started purging out the blood she'd consumed that morning.

"Oh crap." Emma muttered in surprise, really happy that blood didn't make her squeamish as she moved to Elena's side, pulling her hair back. "You're ok, I got your hair, let it out." She said in a gentle tone, knowing her thoughts weren't what Elena would want to hear in that moment. Her thoughts being 'What new hell was this now?!'