[74]

Since some of the most crowded parties around the city weren't really to some of their tastes (most notably Elijah and Emma's), the group of four had ended up vacating the crowded streets of Rio de Janeiro and compelling their way into a private party on the beach which was smaller in number of people and more relaxed compared to some others.

Emma found herself with her now bare feet planted into the warm sand while she sat on the ground, Kol's arms wrapped around her shoulders while Elijah and Katherine occupied a pair of chairs they managed to snag from an oblivious couple. Although, at the moment, Katherine's was empty as the brunette had announced she was going to grab a bite, obvious code since she never actually went to any of the catering stands set up on the beach.

Laughing at something Elijah had said, Emma thought nothing as the sound of glass breaking came from somewhere behind them. However, the look on Elijah's face as his eyes turned to Kol had her realizing what happened and her own head turned in his direction.

"It would seem Katherine had a good idea." Kol didn't bother hiding that the smell of blood somewhere in the crowd did seem somewhat appetising.

"Go on, do what you need. I'll be right here waiting for you." She said, about to shuffle out of his arms and release him, but they only pulled her in closer.

"Maybe I don't want to leave." He revealed, making Emma laugh before her hand was placed on his chest, gently pushing him away as she spoke again.

"Go get something to eat and then once you're done you can bring me another one of those pomegranate drinks on your way back." She suggested with a hopeful smile on her face. She knew requesting something for herself would make him get a move on, and she could see that he wanted to go and get something, well, someone, to drink.

"Anything for you, darling." And his words only confirmed it, making Emma let out a small laugh as he stepped away from her. For a couple of moments, she watched him disappear in the crowd, unaware of the pair of eyes still observing her.

Only when she turned to Elijah did she realize he'd been watching her, and she didn't have to ask what was on his mind before he spoke. "I've heard about what happened in Mystic Falls. I'm sorry for your loss, Emma." He said, knowing that the time alone would be the perfect time to have a conversation with the woman.

"Thank you, Elijah." Emma said quietly, a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes spreading over her face. However, as she thought about his words, she thought of how he might now too. "I take it Klaus told you?" She questioned soon after.

While Emma had been told it was Rebekah who was handling all the affairs of cleaning up the mess which they left behind, Emma and Kol were both suspicious of the fact that it was really her. The lack of communication from the blonde, paired with the state in which she'd been the night before Emma and Kol left made them suspect that the blonde may have been daggered by Klaus at some point shortly after they left.

"He did." Elijah didn't bother to hide the fact.

"Still mad at me then?" Emma asked curiously. Just as Elijah thought a conversation with her would be a good way to discover more information, Emma thought the same of him. Especially since he was her best source on Klaus at the moment.

"Give my brother time, let all the pieces fall into place and he'll understand soon enough." His words had Emma fixing him with an analytical look, as if trying to catch anything off in his expression or body language.

"And you? You already understand?" She asked, voice somewhat hesitant, making it clear he was more than alert as their conversation went on. The moment the two couples ran into each other, they hadn't let the tension take over, but it couldn't be entirely ignored, still somewhat hanging in the air with all the un-discussed topics between them.