[24]

Finding herself left to her own devices as many of the Mikaelsons spread out to mingle with the guests, Emma indulged in one of her favourite passtimes. People watching. It was interesting to see how people acted when they didn't think they were under the eye of someone important. She recognized many faces she remembered from her time at that borefest of a fundraiser with the founding families that she'd attended with Klaus.

The way they carried themselves, the way in which they spoke and interacted with those around them made it obvious just how important they felt being invited to tonight's ball. The vanity was almost amusing when you think of the fact that to those unaware of all of this town's secrets, it would make them equally as important as the high school students in attendance who received invitations themselves.

She also saw Rebekah and Matt, standing together among the crowd, the blonde laughing at whatever Matt had said. And it was a genuine laugh. The date was obviously going well. The night seemed to be going well for all of the Mikaelsons, it seemed. Emma certainly couldn't miss the sight of Klaus' smile as he stood beside Caroline who looked radiant. She made sure to make a mental reminder to herself to tease him about it later.

She spotted Elijah and Elena not far from the two couples, and while too far to hear what they were saying, Emma still found it quite interesting. With Elijah's back turned to her, Emma couldn't gauge what he was thinking or talking about, but watching Elena... She noted the small signs as she spoke. Refusing to meet Elijah's eyes, the shift from one leg to another, the squaring of her shoulders as Elijah seemed to ask her something. Whatever she was telling him, Elena was lying.

And then Emma's concentration was broken as a sound of clinking spread over the room and all eyes turned up to the staircase. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen." Esther's voice carried across the crowd as they all silenced down to listen to her. "Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass."

Emma looked to one of the servers who approached her, placing the tray he carried within her reach. Having finished her first glass some time ago, and not wanting to be rude, Emma took one of the glasses, admiring the bright colour of the champagne before she let her eyes return to Esther's commanding presence. The confidence and power with which the matriarch of the Mikaelson family carried herself was astounding. Emma still stood by her statement that she makes you feel like you need to bow or curtsy before her.

"It provides me with no greater joy than to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being a part of this spectacular evening. Cheers!" She spoke, finally raising her glass towards the crowd. Everyone rose their glasses back, smiling and some clinking their glasses together before sipping the champagne in an extremely polite fashion.

Emma did the same, quietly saying her own cheers before bringing the glass to her lips. She let the champagne touch her lips, feeling the bubbles as they slid down her throat. And yet, while it was obvious it was different to the one she drank before, something still felt odd.

She remembered times when she was younger and sick. When her mother would make her eat some hot soup to feel better. She remembered that feeling you get when you eat or drink something hot, almost as if you could feel it moving through you. But this was different. Emma didn't just feel it in her chest, she felt it all over her body, as far as feeling the tingling in her hands.

She couldn't help but wonder whether this is what getting drunk felt like. She doubted it could happen from just one glass of champagne, but knowing where she was, Emma decided not to take any risks. After just that one sip, she pulled the glass away from her lips, deciding not to let go of it but rather use it as a shield from people offering her any more drinks. Because she certainly wouldn't be taking any more.