[27]

Emma decided this was an 'ask questions later' type of situation. Because while she couldn't figure out what use Alaric had from daggering Kol, whatever it was, couldn't be anything good. And with Klaus oblivious as far as she knew, Emma did the best she could on her own.

Silently, she followed after the teacher as he dragged Kol's motionless body towards the back exit of the Grill. Her mind was running a mile a minute, looking for an opening or any chance to pull that dagger out. However, as she watched him pull Kol past the threshold and out into the back ally, the sound of a conversation starting up made her aware of the time limitation.

"Here." Alaric grunted out, struggling under the weight as he continued to drag the body. And with Kol turned so he was facing her as she appeared at the door Emma didn't give it much of a thought as an idea sprung into her head.

"Tell the sexy doctor, good work." The two Salvatore brothers who had been waiting outside remained oblivious to Emma's presence until the last moment. And by that point, she had already rushed forward, her hand grasping the hilt of the dagger just as she felt someone push against her shoulder with a lot of strength.

She could feel the impact pushing her back, but instead of the surprise forcing her to release the dagger from her hold, Emma used it to her advantage. Keeping her tight grip on the dagger, she was thrown back by the push, and the momentum dragged the dagger out of Kol's chest.

She felt her back smash into the brick wall behind them, the breath knocked out of her and her lungs protesting in defiance as she slid down to the floor. Leaning against the wall she let out a string of coughs as she looked at the situation they now found themselves in. Stefan stood in front of her, obviously aiming to take the dagger she still held in her hand back. Emma knew she couldn't really fight off a vampire if he wanted to get something from her. And luckily, she didn't have to.

As fast as she could blink, a figure appeared in front of her, and Stefan's body was flung through the air. By the time he landed on the stairs behind them with a deafening crack, Alaric too had been pushed aside, and by now only Damon was left standing as Klaus glared at him in anger.

"I should have killed you months ago." Klaus sounded calm, like his mind was made up. Not really caring whether Damon lived or died, Emma instead pushed herself forward and checked on Kol. Already his face was turning to its normal colour as the sickly grey subsided along with the veins.

"Do it." Damon taunted back. "It's not gonna stop Esther from killing you."

Damon's comment had Emma's head snapping back to look at him. He couldn't be serious, could he? What kind of mother tries to kill her own children? She thought with Mikael gone they'd be done with that sort of business.

"What did you say about my mother?" Klaus asked, his tone dangerously low as he walked towards Damon.

"You didn't know I was friends with your mommy? Yeah, we have a lot in common. She hates you as much as I do." Damon continued to push Klaus' buttons without a single care. Even standing alone against an unkillable Original, Damon remained confident.

However, instead of debating whether the older Salvatore was stupid or dumb? Emma's eyes turned back to Kol as she felt him start to shift beside her. For a moment he looked disoriented and confused until he looked around and remembered what had happened only minutes ago. As his strength returned to him, Kol rose to his feet. His hands took hold of Emma's arms helping her up with him just.

At the same time as they rose, Klaus let out a low growl, ready to charge at Damon and end him right there. However, he never even got to deliver the first blow as a voice sounded from the top of the steps. "Leave him." Elijah's call made everyone turn to look at him as he appeared at the scene. He looked just like Kol, as if he too had been daggered only moments ago.