[1]

Emma hated it every time she found herself in this position. Every first day at every new school was just horrendous. At least this time she was spared of the worst scenario; starting at a new school in the middle of the year. Luckily for her, Emma's first day at Mystic Falls high was everyone's first day. But still, all the moving around, all the new starts and new attempts were tiring, and she couldn't wait for them to stop. She hoped this was the last considering it was her senior year.

Sitting behind the wheel of her car, Emma let her eyes take in all of her surroundings. The sun shone down on the parking lot where many students scattered around, some standing by their cars, others heading towards the school entrance. All were so caught up in their own friends, their own catching up or whining about the return to school and the end of the summer. It was what gave Emma a small push, the confidence to get out of the car and head for the school, knowing now was a chance when she'd get noticed the least.

And just as she expected, she went by mostly unnoticed. She could hear a couple of whispers and felt a few glances on her, even though she kept her head down as she moved through the masses of teenagers. And once she found herself inside of the school, the atmosphere was almost exactly the same. Students by their lockers, talking and gossiping about all that had happened over the summer, none of them ready just yet to head to their first classes of the year.

As she made her way through the halls, Emma felt some relief, knowing she'd made a good decision when she picked up her papers from the administration office a couple of days before the start of school. It helped her move around easier and stand out less. A girl completely lost as she tried to locate the AP American History classroom would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

However, despite knowing her way, the long process of getting ready that morning was what made Emma just a tad bit late. Not late enough to be forced to go through the awkward 'New girl enters the classroom when everyone is already there' process, but she still found herself to be among the last filing into the classroom. Luckily enough, there were still empty seats. Not wanting to spend too much time on picking one, Emma quickly sat down in the first she saw in the front row.

From the corner of her eye, she caught somewhat a scene unfolding, reminding her how lucky she was that she wasn't there too early either as she watched some guy demand to have his seat. Emma was glad she didn't have to deal with douchebags like that right now.

"Welcome back, seniors. Let's turn our brains back on, starting with this country's original founders... The Native Americans." The sound of the teacher's voice brought Emma's attention back to the front of the classroom just as he finished writing the name of the class up on the board. Emma raked her brain, trying to remember the teacher's name that had been written on her schedule, but no matter how right she thought she was, Saltyman didn't feel right.

And while unable to remember at the time, Emma knew better than to ask. Or even shift through her papers in search of the name. She didn't want him to remember about her presence. So far, it seemed he was jumping right into the lesson, unlike many other teachers who often had the need to call out the new students and go through the cliché of making them introduce themselves in front of the whole class.

"What about the Vikings?" A voice questioned suddenly, making all eyes turn to the entrance of the classroom where a blonde-haired girl had just walked through the door. Her confident steps led her over to one of the empty desks within the classroom, and it just so happened to be the one right beside Emma. However, the blonde paid her no mind, her bright blue eyes remaining focused solely on the teacher.

"There's no evidence that Viking explorers actually settled in the United States. Who are you?" The man questioned, his confused eyes now looking between both unfamiliar faces in the front row. Alaric could remember the news of a new student joining the senior class this year, however, with all that was happening just moments before the class started, it had completely slipped his mind. But he knew for a fact there weren't supposed to be two.

"My name's Rebekah. I'm new." The blonde introduced herself with a confident smile on her lips. To Emma, it seemed as if she revelled in all of the attention that had been placed upon her from the moment she entered the room. "And history's my favourite subject." Rebekah quickly added.

Her tone, a mix of mocking and almost flirtatious, made Emma let out a small chuckle. The sound was what drew Rebekah's attention, and as Emma smiled her way in a friendly manner, hoping to make it clear her laughter wasn't in any way a bad thing, she remained unaware of the eyes watching their exchange. After all, Emma couldn't imagine someone suspecting there to be any hidden meaning in smiles shared between the two new girls.

Class went by rather quickly after that, and during it, Emma finally realized she wasn't too far off with her first memory of the teacher's name. It wasn't Saltyman, it was Saltzman. And she was happy to know it now, as she would surely remember it. she admired him after the class, he seemed like a good teacher. Even though there did seem to be moments when it became slightly obvious that he was just a tad bit distracted by something on his mind.

By the time the end of the class rolled around, Emma was slightly disappointed if she were being honest. Mr Saltzman made history fun, and she enjoyed it. Although, a part of Emma suspected that her disappointment may have something to do with the fact that she was moving on from interesting history on to the dull and mind-numbing algebra class.

She moved out of the seat and headed towards the door just as the rest of the class, falling into step besides the blonde who'd sat next to her. The two 'New girls' now walking side by side. Emma took in a deep breath, letting out a small cough right after as she mustered up the courage and extended her hand sideways towards Rebekah.

"Hi, my name's Emma." She said. Rebekah's eyes jumped to her in slight surprise, eyeing the extended hand as if it may be dipped in something poisonous.

"I wasn't aware that I asked." Rebekah's tone had a slight bite to it, and she did nothing to accept Emma's hand, forcing the brunette to retreat it in slight embarrassment.

"No, but I just thought I could introduce myself. Both of us being new girls, I thought it could be nice to stick together." Emma still maintained a smile on her face, not returning the bite, but instead continuing to be nice.

"I can do just fine on my own." Rebekah turned the offer down, and before Emma had a chance to say anything else (not that she would have; she was kind, but she also knew when to walk away), Rebekah turned on her heel and started heading in the opposite direction of Emma, soon enough disappearing down the halls of the school and leaving Emma to give out a small sigh. Well, at least she tried. 

-----

And there we go ladies and gentlemen, Emma has entered the world. I hope you liked and enjoyed this first chapter, and more will be coming your way soon. 

Feel free to say what you think so far, what you're expecting from it and whatever you might want to say. Also, a vote is of course welcome.