[80]

Emma found herself sitting on the large deck in the back of the house, not at the table like usually, but rather on the ground, her eyes looking out at the view of the ocean and dark clouds hanging in the sky above it, streaks of light starting to pass through them.

She'd always enjoyed storms, but the sight of it alone wasn't what had brought the smile onto Emma's face. It was the knowledge that the clouds and oncoming rain were her doing. She had been working on mastering the spell that would allow her to create a storm for quite a bit now, and she'd finally managed to get it done. It was nice knowing that she didn't just give up on it before succeeding because plans had changed.

"And you're willing to give all that up for a man." The sound of a voice coming from behind her had Emma jumping in surprise for a moment before she turned to the vampire standing there. Katherine, who had a couple of more days before she left Rio was standing at the door, having watched Emma perform the spell without the Park's knowledge.

Emma wasn't surprised to learn that Katherine somehow knew about Kol and Emma's plans for her to finally turn. In a house occupied by three vampires, it was rare that anything could be kept private. It was why Emma had started tinkering with silencing and blocking spells in the first place. Glancing back into the house, she could see Elijah right in that moment, moving through the kitchen rather slowly, indicating that even now he was listening in.

"It's not all for a man." Emma spoke once Katherine's words finally caught up with her. For as long as she'd been thinking about the possibility of turning and a future as a vampire, she always knew she didn't want Kol to be the only reason for it. He could be one of them, but she needed to be absolutely sure in multiple reasons.

Noticing the raised eyebrow Katherine was sending her, Emma gave out a small sigh before giving more of an explanation. "See all of this?" She asked, hands motioning to the collection of trinkets she had gathered around her. Small decorative objects or pieces of jewellery and stones she knew all stored magic within them. "That's what all this power comes from. Take it away. Leave me without a source, and I'm basically human again. Turning into a vampire isn't just about spending forever with Kol."

"It's power." A knowing smirk spread over Katherine's face as she started to understand more of Emma's motives. She could definitely approve of the reasons once she knew what really lay behind the decision.

"I love my magic. It's a rush and thrilling and I enjoy exploring it. But it isn't going to keep me alive in the long run." Emma spoke in a knowing tone, having given this aspect of turning into a vampire more thought than she did most others. She knew turning would mean losing her magic and ability to siphon. It was the price witches had to pay. "Not fighting against my disease, and not against my father if I'm deprived of a constant source. But the speed, the strength, the senses, the immortality, they will. And I can always manipulate a witch into doing spells for me if I need them."

"Good." Emma wasn't looking for Katherine's approval when it came to her decision. She wasn't looking for anyone's. But still, having someone like Katherine Pierce agreeing that it was a smart one only fuelled Emma into believing she was making the right choice.

And to Katherine it meant she'd been right about Emma from the start, and all the stories she heard weren't just grand exaggerations. She could see a lot of herself in the witch, and that's how Katherine knew Emma would be able to survive whatever came her way. People like them always did.

Katherine turned back, walking into the house again and leaving Emma to enjoy her magic by herself while she still could, knowing now that is what she was doing. She moved to close the door behind her. Although, before she did so fully, her ears caught the sound of Emma's phone buzzing against the wooden floor.