[17]

Emma continued to pace the length of her bedroom. Up and down, wall to wall. Sometimes she stopped to check her phone. And then she'd continue to pace. She even tried to distract herself with her father's journals, but it didn't seem to do the trick. Because, Emma was right, she and Klaus were quite popular that evening. More so Klaus than she. But for all the... less desirable reasons.

While Klaus was on the phone with Stefan who, surprisingly enough, wasn't bluffing about killing Elena, Emma received a phone call from Matt. She wasn't really sure what to expect. They weren't really the type of friends who'd call each other to 'just talk'. So, it didn't surprise her when Matt shared that he needed her to do something. That he needed a favor from her. It didn't surprise her when that favor somehow involved Klaus, either.

What did surprise her what exactly the favor was. Of course, she learnt from Rebekah all about Klaus' blood being a cure to a werewolf bite, one that is fatal to vampires. And it wasn't hard to guess that the rest of the Mystic Falls gang was aware of this little bit of information. The part that really did surprise Emma was why they needed it this time.

"What a fucking dick!"

Those were the words that instantly slipped out of Emma's mouth once Matt told her that Tyler bit Caroline. Now anyone with eyes could see that there was some trouble in paradise over there. But Emma didn't expect Tyler to be that much of an ass. And so, she promised Matt that she'd at least ask Klaus to help Caroline. Although, she suspected she might regret it once she took note of his enraged face upon returning to Klaus' side. Of course, thinking of it all later, she realized he didn't seem too surprised at all when she delivered Matt and Sheriff Forbes' plea.

And now, Emma was left waiting for Klaus' call, something he said he'd do when he solved all of the night's issues. She didn't even know how he planned on solving it all. Knowing how infuriated he was with Stefan in that particular moment, she wouldn't put it past him if the solution was just to kill them all. It was her running thoughts that kept her so distracted, and as a result, the soft tap on her window made Emma jump in surprise.

"You said you'd call, not show up at my window like a love-sick teenager." Emma pointed out as she came to open the window only after seeing who it was that was trying to get her attention through it.

"Well, I would have knocked on the front door, but something tells me your mother wouldn't be too pleased with someone as dashing as myself showing up at this time of night looking for her daughter." Klaus smirked at Emma, making the girl roll her eyes at him in annoyance.

"How's Caroline?" She switched the topic with ease, thinking that the blonde vampire might be the better thing to ask about. Stefan surely wasn't something she wanted to lead with and as a result piss off the hybrid.

"She'll live." Klaus said, his voice coming off cold and unbothered. He wasn't amused, he wasn't flaunting the fact that he was the only savior in Caroline's time of need, he wasn't gloating over how he'd made Tyler do what he did (something Emma gathered due to his lack of surprise). No. Klaus wanted to get past the topic of Caroline as quickly as possible without revealing a single thing.

"You care about her." She said after a couple of moments were spent in silence as she analyzed him. It wasn't even a question. Instead, she said it as a statement, something she was sure of.

"You don't know what you're talking about." Klaus sent Emma a sharp glare, one that was surely meant to intimidate. All Emma did was laugh.

"It's okay. Your secret is safe with me." She said with a teasing wink before continuing on. "It's good to know there's still a heart beneath the monster." Emma knew she was getting under Klaus' skin, but it didn't seem to be enough for actual consequences.