[84]

After that Emma didn't care for the threats exchanged between Klaus and Tyler. She didn't care for Caroline's pleading for mercy. She didn't care for the moment of weakness the Mikaelson showed once again as he offered to give Tyler a head start, although she did think it was a rather stupid choice.

Emma also didn't care about the couple enough to listen in on their conversation out on the porch as they said goodbye. If anything, she envied them. Yes, they were being separated, but at least they had a chance. They were parting knowing the other was alive, knowing that at some point in the future there was still a possibility of finding each other again and being happy. Something that had been ripped from her.

She knew the time was coming when she'd have to face it. When she would do what she came here for. But until then, there was one more thing she needed to take care of. And so, Emma stepped up to the edges of the living room, eyes focusing on the hybrid trapped inside as she spoke. "We both know I can let you out of here, but what happens when I do?"

Despite all the emotions clouding her mind, all the pain threatening to break her again the longer she stood inside of this house, Emma hadn't forgotten the way things were before everything fell apart. She stood on Kol's side, one that opposed Klaus. Again.

"Nothing." Klaus answered firmly. Honestly too. He had plans to cause her pain, but now... Everything was different now. He couldn't do it. Not when she was already going through so much of it. Something he could see no matter how strong she tried to come across.

After a few silent moments, Emma nodded her head. Perhaps she was being foolish in believing him. Perhaps it was a mistake. But in all honestly, she didn't have the energy to think ten steps ahead. She wanted this all to be over with. Because of that, her hands rose into the air, settling against the invisible barrier as she started to siphon the magic holding it up.

She knew she wasn't done. She knew there was more. But before she could take it all, the magic was gone. As if it had disappeared into thin air. And Emma had learned enough about witches since discovering she herself was one, to know what that meant. "Well... That takes care of Bonnie Bennett, I guess." She muttered to herself.

Finally stepping past the edges of the room, Klaus appeared in front of her soon enough. Emma expected him to gloat about his freedom, or comment on the magic of it all, but his actions surprised her. Instead of anything she'd been expecting, Emma felt his arms wrap around her as he pulled her into a tight, comforting embrace.

"I'm sorry. I had plans to subdue him, but never this. I did not wish for this." Klaus spoke honestly, letting his feeling shine through for just a moment. It made Emma return the hug, letting herself accept the comfort for just a moment before she pulled away.

"I know." She said as she moved. And it wasn't a lie. Klaus' methods when dealing with his siblings were certainly questionable, but despite it all she knew that, in his own way, everything he did was in the name of family. His main goal always being protecting them and keeping them by his side. He wouldn't have been a part of a plan intended to kill one of them.

"Come, you don't need to be here any longer than necessary." Klaus spoke again, his hand settling on her shoulder as he tried to gently stir her in the direction of the door. However, Emma pulled away before he could do so.

"And I don't plan on it, but I do need a moment." She said, fixing him with a look that made it clear she was hoping he'd give it to her. She saw the hesitation on his face, and was propelled to add: "I'll meet you back at your house."

It was a lie. She had no intentions of sticking around, not only in the Gilbert house, but in Mystic Falls itself. She needed a moment and then she'd be gone. But Klaus didn't need to know that.

The addition to her plea seemed to be enough for him, missing the lie as he nodded his head in acceptance. Without any more words spoken between the two, he headed for the door and soon enough Emma found herself standing alone in the house.

With a heavy sigh, she took one more moment, trying to still her racing heart and failing. And so she stopped hesitating. She turned around, letting her legs, heavy as led, carry her over to the kitchen.

This time she didn't hold back the tears that clouded her vision as she let her eyes fall on the white sheet. She let the pain back in, she let the sobs escape as she knelt down next to it.

She didn't look away. Not when the finality of it all settled in one last time. Not when she noticed a charred black hand sticking out beneath the cover, the familiar blue ring still on his finger.

For a few minutes she didn't speak, letting it all out as she remained there. But she came with a reason. She had something to say. And she knew it would never be as she wanted it. She knew she'd always regret not saying it when she had a chance. And this was the closest she would get.

And so she said it.

"I love you." She whispered, her voice broken and hoarse, all the pain seeping through it as she spoke, accepting the fact that she'd never be able to hear it back.

But that didn't mean it wasn't said.

Emma had no connection to the Other Side in that moment. She couldn't see or hear it. And so she didn't know.

She didn't know he was right there, by her side as he'd been from the moment she entered the house he'd been sticking to in hopes that she'd finally answer a call from his brother.

She didn't know he heard every word of it. That he was looking right at her, his own tears threatening to spill as he wished there was something he could do to take away her pain.

But he couldn't.

All he could do was say what he wanted too.

"I love you too, darling." Kol whispered back.

He wished he'd said it when he had a chance.

-----

Sheesh, even I teared up at the end there.