[62]

Emma wished she had more strength as she stumbled out of the house, gasping at the fresh air as her coughs continued to come out, a siren call to the person who'd just been waiting for her to come out. Knowing she had to act fast, she siphoned the stone in her hand, all of it. She could feel the magic fuel her strength, and just as she was ready to run, she was stopped.

She felt her back hit a wall, an arm pressing into her collarbone as a painful scream left her lips as she felt something stab her in the stomach. Her eyes filled with a new wave of tears, this time caused by physical pain, but even through them she could see the smirking face of her father.

"Smart girl." He tutted at her, enjoying the pain he caused. "I'd say I'd make it quick, but that would be a lie." He sneered at her, making Emma whimper both in fear and pain.

Despite her fear, she glanced down at her stomach, realizing it wasn't a weapon or some kind of blade sticking out of it. It was wood. And that made her gasp out a laugh. It made the pain more prominent, but she ignored it. "I obviously got it from mum." She bit back, not hesitating as she pointed her hand at it and uttered an incantation. "Motus."

The piece of wood ripped out of her abdomen, making her scream out again, but she didn't let her concentration break as she sent it flying at him. The piece hit him in the chest, but too far to the right side to have the desired effect. It did, however, still force him to let go of her as he stumbled back, letting out his own pain induced groan.

Emma didn't wait to see what he'd do next. She pushed him even further back. "Phasmatos Ossox!" She called out, hand stretched towards him and soon enough the sickening sound of cracking bones spread through the air, his knees bending at awkward angles and forcing him to collapse to the ground.

Emma used it as her chance to run. She had no idea what she'd do, but if she just got out into the street, maybe she could find some way. Running for the woods beyond her back yard was just a recipe for disaster. Out in the open, with every sound of a fight and scream attracting attention, she stood a better chance.

And so Emma ran. Stumbling with every step she took, her hand pressed to her stomach. She continued to whimper, holding in the screams she truly wanted to let out as with every step her body felt like it was being stabbed all over again. She felt blood seeping through her fingers again, her own mixing with what remained of her mother's on her hands. But she didn't give in. Not even as she heard her father rise to his feet behind her.

"You can't run from me!" He called out in a warning tone. Emma turned around, stumbling backwards along the path by the side of her house, ducking away as some of the flames soared from the window. Her eyes remained glued to him as he pulled the wood out of his chest, rising back to his feet and then rushing at her.

But Emma was ready for it. It was why she'd turned around in the first place. She remembered a spell. She'd only used it once on Kol, and only for a few seconds. But back then, she was holding back. This time, she didn't plan on doing that even for a second. Her hand extended towards him and just as he started to run he was brought to a stop again. Hands going to his head as he groaned out in pain.

Emma held him there, making her way backwards, eyes frequently turning to the ground behind her in an attempt not to trip or fall. But she knew she couldn't keep it up forever. She needed a next step, a new spell, something. She needed to give herself some kind of chance.

But then it happened, and she felt all of her chances slip away. She could feel the magic deplete and then it was gone. And she could see as he felt it too. His back straightened, the sinister smile on his face again as his eyes zeroed in on her just as she turned back around.

She pushed her legs as hard as she could, trying to run as fast as possible. But the moment she tried, Emma already knew she would never be fast enough. Even if it weren't for all the pain spreading through her body, even if it weren't for the coughs constantly slowing her down as she struggled to take in a breath, even if it weren't for all the bloodloss making her feel like the world was spinning. Emma would never be fast enough to outrun him.

"Six years I waited and searched. I'm not letting you slip through my fingers again." She heard his words, and then he gave her no time to prepare before she felt his hands grab hold of her, pulling her back like she was a rag-doll.

She screamed out, hands reaching back and trying to hit and scratch and fight in an attempt to break free, but it was no use. His grip was too strong, and his mind made up. She felt the bones in her hand crack as he grabbed hold of it to stop her assault, the force of the grip causing her to cry out, but before she could even adapt to that pain, a new one came.

She felt his fangs tear into her neck, piercing the skin with such violence that her instant reaction was to scream again. But his bite only tightened as he started to drain what little blood she still had in her body. And her scream was rendered into a cry as she felt her knees start to give in, buckling beneath her weight. She tried to clear her mind, tried to focus, tried to find a way to siphon him and make him let go, but too quickly everything became a blur.

After a few moments, it was only his hold that kept her upright. And soon enough that disappeared too. Emma couldn't even attempt to break her fall as her body slumped to the ground. Moments ago, she'd been able to feel the flames that continued to spread from the house, warming up the cold night air. But now, all she could feel was the ground beneath her, chilling her bones as she struggled to keep her eyes open, trying to move, but no part of her body would listen.

"Goodbye, my sweet Emma." Her father's voice sounded from above her, his face focused as he listened to the sound of sirens coming closer. But he knew they wouldn't be here in time. He could hear her heart, each beat coming later than the one before. And soon enough they'd stop altogether. And with a smile on his face, happy to know his goal had finally been accomplished, he disappeared from sight.

Emma realized it too, and she wanted to let it fuel some optimism, but even she knew it couldn't. she felt her body weaken further with every shallow breath she took. Even her lungs had stopped protesting, no more coughs leaving her. All Emma could do was stare up at the night sky, watching as the smoke of the fire mixed among the stars above her.

She thought back to her mom. God, how she wished she hadn't called her mushy not even an hour ago. That she hugged her tighter and told her how much she loved her. She thought of her friends, wanting to laugh at the fact that her last interaction with Klaus consisted mainly of her calling him a dick. With Rebekah it was better, but still not nearly what Emma wanted. She still had so much to tell to the vampire who'd become her friend, one that she wanted to hold on to for life.

But the person she wanted to tell the most to... The one she wished she could see one last time more than anyone else. So she could apologize for the lies and hiding things. So she could apologize for leaving. So she could see his smile one last time and kiss him goodbye. He wasn't there. She was alone, and she was cold, and she was dying. The thought made a tear slip down her cheek. All this time she'd thought she was ready, but now, as she was left with nothing else but death, she realized how far from the truth it was.

But it was too late. Emma felt her eyes struggling to stay open, dark spots dancing around her vision. She wanted to fight, but there was no fight left in her. And so she closed them, letting the darkness consume her. In her last moments, she thought she imagined a voice, the one she wanted to hear. It called out her name in a desperate tone from somewhere far far away. And while she wished it to be real, Emma knew it wasn't. And just as the sound faded off, she felt her last strength do the same.

-----

I feel like I should say something, but I'm not sure what...