[77]

Emma and Kol had spent the majority of their day out in the streets of Rio, exploring the parts of the city known for housing witches and supernatural creatures of all kinds. Even though neither could be entirely forthcoming about their identities, considering the dislike witches held towards both siphoners and vampires, Kol's ability to distinguish fact from tourist-attractive fiction still made it quite an illuminating trip.

The only down side of it was the feeling of her legs aching as Emma and Kol walked back into the house. She was more than ready to crash on the couch and do nothing more for the rest of the day. And once she was in the living room, that was exactly what she proceeded to do while Kol called out into the house, checking to see if his brother and Katherine were home.

Once the lack of a response made the answer clear, Kol turned back to Emma, smiling as he sat on the edge of the couch on which she was lying. "Feeling alright, darling?" He questioned, his hand gently rubbing her thigh as she smiled up at him.

"Perfectly fine, just as exhausted." Emma reassured him. "Keeping up with you can do that to a person, you know?" She added teasingly, fingers intertwining with his.

"Too exhausted to enjoy having the house all to ourselves?" Kol questioned with a raised eyebrow, making Emma laugh before she rose into a sitting position, face coming quite close to his as she was ready to make it clear she was never too exhausted for that. But before she could, her words were cut off by the sound of her stomach rumbling, reminding them both of the announcement she made on their way back to the house about how hungry she was. "Ah, yes. I did make a promise to cook you dinner, didn't I? I'll get right on it." Kol quickly shifted directions, placing a soft kiss to Emma's lips for only a second before he was back on his feet.

Watching him go into the kitchen, Emma shook her head in amusement. Their time together in the Bahamas had shown another way in which they were a perfect fit, according to Emma's opinion. While had the cooking skills to burn water when trying to boil it, Kol's curiosities about the developments in cuisine during his absence for the last century revealed the skills he had in the kitchen. And since, loved using to spoil her.

While watching him get to work, the sound of her phone buzzing had Emma looking away as she dragged the device out of her pocket. She wasn't sure who could be calling her, knowing there weren't many options. One was Matt, to either give her another update on all the chaos happening in Mystic Falls or simply to rant out his frustrations about it all. The other was Katherine, calling to wrangle Emma into another 'girl's day' she'd been suggesting.

However, it was neither of those. Or any other option which wouldn't have been too surprising in Emma's opinion. No, the name printed out on the screen of her phone had her restraining herself from letting the surprise she felt on the inside show on her face.

"I have to take this." Emma announced, getting up from the sofa and heading in the direction of their bedroom for some sense of privacy. Kol nodded his head in acceptance, not pressing her for any further information even if it was odd for her to take the call away from him considering she hadn't been doing that during any others. He'd simply ask her about it later, knowing she'd tell him once it was over at least.

And it was true, Emma had no intentions of hiding who was calling her for too long. However, she still wanted a chance to answer the call before Kol tried to talk her out of it or become upset over whatever was said on the other end of the line.

And so, when she entered the bedroom, siphoning the magic Kol had helped her store away in some of the decorative trinkets around the house, Emma muttered a short spell; a tweaked version of Esther's silencing spell that didn't involve the burning of sage, but as a result also lasted a shorter amount of time.