[2]

Emma sorted through the books in her new locker, more than happy that the first day of school was finally over. Some students still stuck around the halls, discussing and debating whether to join activities and groups. Unlike them, Emma couldn't wait to get what she needed to do her homework and get home. The idea of curling up on the couch with a bucket of ice cream and just relaxing seemed perfect right now. However, fate seemed to have a different plan for her.

"Holy shit!" Emma gasped, letting out a small cough in surprise before she calmed down and let her eyes send a questioning look to the blonde that had been standing behind the door of her locker for who knows how long. "You scared the living daylights out of me."

"I can see that. Sorry..." The voice, laced with a thick accent, sounded almost uncertain in the apology, as if she were saying it simply because she thought she should. Although, the amused smile on the blonde's face made it clear enough that she was more entertained than apologetic.

"So, why are you here exactly? Is there something I can do for you, Rebekah?" Emma asked curiously, remembering very well the way Rebekah brushed her off that morning. The brunette surely wasn't expecting Rebekah to be seeking her out any time soon.

"Well, I was a bit harsh this morning." Rebekah started to say, making Emma raise an eyebrow at her. A bit was one way to go. "It was uncalled for. I hope you can forgive me." Rebekah did her best at apologizing. After compelling the woman at the administration office, she soon learned that Emma was actually a new girl, with no ties to Mystic Falls and who was just being nice. And if Rebekah had to stay in this hellhole of a town, at least it would be nice to have a friend.

"It's alright. You're not the first person to shoot me down, I'll live." Emma replied, shutting her locker closed and leaning her shoulder against it as she continued to speak with Rebekah. "I just thought it would be, I don't know, easy? For us to be friends I mean."

"It would, because I desperately need someone's advice." Rebekah said, standing up straighter while Emma's brows furrowed curiously. What could she need her advice on? "Cheerleading, yes or no?" Rebekah asked suddenly, a flyer basically appearing in front of Emma with the date and time of tryouts for the team.

"Uh... Yes?" Emma answered, although her voice sounded more like a question since she wasn't sure why Rebekah was asking in the first place. The lack of information made her unsure whether she'd given the right answer.

"Good, then you can do it with me." Rebekah smiled widely, but Emma's eyes widened in surprise as the blonde linked their arms and started to lead the way towards the exit.

"Oh no, no, no. Cheerleading is not my thing. Really, physical activity is not my thing. I just thought you were asking for yourself." She quickly explained, brushing away a few stray stands of hair that had fallen into her face as she kept up with an excited Rebekah.

"Really? It's your senior year, don't you want to make a splash, get yourself out there?" Rebekah questioned with a suspicious tone, believing everyone would want to make an impression in a new school and quickly make new friends.

"I'm not the out there type of person. I'm the type of person who is thankful that you've taken the spotlight of being the new kid off of me." Emma explained with a small chuckle before adding. "I'm also not the exercise type, as I said."

It was becoming quite obvious that she and Rebekah were different people when it came to handling attention from others. Rebekah's confidence made her seem as if she didn't care whether she had it or not but enjoyed when she did. The attention. Emma on the other hand, preferred to stick to the shadows. This year especially. She didn't have plans to make friends with a lot of people only to lose touch nine months later when they all leave for college.