[40]

Emma did her best to focus on Kol's voice as they walked through the streets of Mystic Falls, on their way to the Mikaelson home after finally getting out of those forsaken caves. However, it was made somewhat harder than usual as she did her best to ignore the buzzing feeling still invading her body. Whatever she'd done in that coffin, it was still there. Sticking around and making her feel like her nerves were firing off at ten times the speed.

"You forget how charming I can be, darling." Kol spoke in a teasing voice, answering Emma's curious question on how he even managed to get Matt to follow him anywhere. And while her mind may have been somewhat distracted, she still managed to send him a dubious look at that. "I simply reminded him that he owed you for saving his life."

"From you." Emma pointed out. But she pressed no further. Kol managed to get Matt there to help her, and she was entirely grateful to them both for it. Now that she'd managed to somewhat calm her fears, Emma was even happier that they arrived when they did. Although, something told her that there was a good chance she could have gotten out of that coffin on her own too. But she wasn't about to share that, not until she was sure and not until she could understand it.

"And the 20s getup?" Emma couldn't help but ask the next question, having now entirely taken in Kol's attire for the night as they drew closer to the front door of the Mikaelson mansion.

"I had a whole elaborate plan to steal you away from whatever measly mortal you've chosen as your date and give you a night of your life." Kol said cockily, making Emma shake her head at him, unable to hold back the small smile appearing on her lips.

"I didn't have a date." She admitted, a smirk of her own dancing on her lips as they stopped in front of the door and she turned to face him. She watched the amusement in his eyes as he registered the information.

"Even better for me." Kol said simply, his hand reaching up to brush a strand of hair behind her ear as they looked at each other, a soft silence falling over them. Emma was curious to see what he'd do next, however, before either could make a move, the door of the house swung open.

"Emma!" While the relief in her voice was evident, the sight of the Mikaelson sister made Emma momentarily step back in worry before Rebekah could throw her arms around her friend. Kol's reassuring hand came to rest on the brunette's back as she evaluated Rebekah standing in front of her. "It's me, I swear it." Rebekah said gently, not even offended at the momentary hesitance in Emma's eyes as she looked at her.

For another second, Emma still stood back, but as he mind thought back to all the things she'd missed according to Kol, Esther was dead. And the person standing in front of her truly was Rebekah. And because of that, she finally felt sure enough to step forward and hug her friend, happy to have her back again.

"I'm sorry for not realizing it in time." Emma said, feeling terrible even though she didn't even know what happened to Rebekah while Esther was in control of her body.

"You're sorry?" Rebekah questioned in disbelief as she pulled back from the hug so Emma could see the scolding look on her face as she ushered her into the house. Kol followed behind, giving the two some space as he closed the door behind them. "I'm sorry! If I hadn't let myself get distracted and just killed her on the spot none of this would have happened."

"It's your mother." Emma pointed out. She couldn't understand the baggage which came with the idea of your mother being the one trying to kill you and end your life, however, she understood why the thought of simply killing her wasn't something that came too easily to Rebekah.

"One that is luckily out of our lives for good now." A third voice joined in on the conversation as Emma, Rebekah and Kol made their way into the living room, the youngest Mikaelson brother slumping down onto one of the sofas, leaving space empty by his side as if waiting for something.