[37]

"You do realize you don't have to be here. It's not like a mandatory class?" Matt couldn't hold himself back from asking the question after Emma let out a desperate groan as he handed her another feathery piece of decorations from the box at her feet. Her only response to his question was an unamused glare. "I'm sure Rebekah wouldn't mind you going back on a promise made weeks ago, after everything." Once again, glare.

Weeks ago, Emma had promised the blonde she'd help her organise the upcoming decade dance. However, now she was starting to regret it. It was her first day back to school and all she wanted was to go home and take a nap.

And, of course, Matt had a point. Rebekah would send her home instantly if she asked. But Emma was feeling fine. Despite everyone treating her like she was about to stop breathing any moment now. She hated every moment of it. Well... Except for when her algebra teacher sent her to the nurse after one cough. She didn't go to the nurse, but she also didn't return to the mind numbing class either.

"Well, if you're so adamant on staying, work faster. There's a lot more in here." Matt relented with a laugh, digging through the box which sat on the bench at Emma's feet while she herself occupied the table.

"You know, you could try untangling some yourself? Not just handing it all over to me." Emma pointed out as if it were the most obvious thing. In reality, the most obvious thing were all the twinkling lights spread out over the table next to them that had been untangled by the Donovan before Emma offered her help.

"Oh, crap. Incoming." Before Matt could point out the same thing, Emma interrupted as a flurry of blonde hair with a rather enraged expression appeared in the corner of her eye.

"What is this?" It took Caroline a couple of moments to get past the shock, but soon after she made a bee-line for Matt.

"It's a decade dance, remember? You made us sign up to help." Matt reminded his friend, for a moment wondering how he ended up being the only one to actually stay back and help.

"No. This!" Caroline turned more specific as she picked up a purple feather boa from the table beside Emma.

"Careful! These things are hell to untangle." The brunette pleaded, her hands instantly reaching to take the boa out of Caroline's tight grip. She was certainly not allowing all of her hard work to go to waste.

"The 20s? We're doing the 70s." Caroline grumbled in displeasure, visibly confused on how the mix-up could have happened. As if her question summoned it, the explanation came strolling into the cafeteria.

"Too flashy, people. It's supposed to be a speakeasy, not the World Fair." Rebekah scolded the dance committee volunteers before her eyes spotted the three of them and she made her way over. "Ah, good. You're here. We need help setting up the tables, so get to it."

"What do you think you're doing?" Caroline didn't even bother acknowledging Rebekah's request. Matt and Emma shared wary looks amongst themselves, this was bound to be disastrous.

"Somebody has to be in charge." Rebekah answered as if it was the most obvious thing. Which... When you evaluated Caroline's absence during the whole planning process, Rebekah did have a bit of a point.

"Yeah, me. I'm the chair of the dance committee. The theme of the decade dance is the 1970s." Caroline spoke in a forceful tone, highly displeased with someone hijacking her idea and making it all their own. The fact that it was Rebekah who'd done it certainly didn't help the situation.

"So you'd rather dress in tacky colours with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age?" Rebekah questioned, remaining calm and unbothered. "Honestly, I don't know what my brother sees in you." The additional comment had Emma forcing down a laugh with a pretend cough.