[15]

Emma was doing her best, she really was. She didn't want her main impression to be as the one who keeps falling asleep. Her algebra teacher would definitely hate her if she did it again. But after another night of having to sleeping with the uncomfortable cannula, meaning she didn't get much sleep at all, Emma found her eyes kept closing of their own volition every once in a while. The only thing managing to help her stay awake until the bell finally sounded, were the frequent jabs to her arm from the person sitting next to her.

"You really hate this class, don't you?" Matt asked with a small laugh as the two started to pack up their things before walking out of the classroom side by side. Emma let out a small groan as she thought of her answer.

"Yes... I mean, no... Ms Maron is a good teacher and all, it's just boring as hell. I need to record classes for the nights when I can't sleep." Emma said, the idea truly sounding like a good one in that moment. It made Matt laugh again as the two walked through the halls together.

Walking past Caroline's locker, Emma would have had to be blind not to notice all of the decorations and the happy birthday wishes glued to it. "Did Caroline enjoy her birthday surprise?" She asked with a small laugh, seeing how her friends went all out for it.

"Uh, she's not at school today." Matt said simply. It was obvious from his tone that he didn't really know where his friend was.

"What, too busy planning the next big scheme?" Emma couldn't help but tease, making Matt send her a pointed look.

"Come on, I thought you and I had a truce?" He asked, the small smile on his face still making it clear he understood Emma was just messing around with him. While on different sides most of the time, Emma and Matt were aware that as the only two completely normal humans in the midst of everything else in Mystic Falls, they could at least be on good terms and not at each other's throats like everyone else.

"We do." Emma reassured him. "Doesn't mean I don't still have questions. Like what happened to Rebekah? Where is she? Just thought you might be willing to share." Emma's words made Matt stop in his tracks, his hand reaching out and taking hold of Emma's arm to make her do the same.

"Em, Elena gave Rebekah back to Klaus." Matt said with furrowed brows. He was expecting Emma would be among the first to know considering that was why she allied herself with Klaus in the first place, to get her friend back. And they'd all expected Klaus to un-dagger Rebekah as soon as he had her so she could aid him in tormenting them into handing over the rest of the Original family.

"You know, sometimes I hate how cryptic he can get." Emma shook her head with an eye roll as she realized that was what Klaus must've meant when he said the plan partly yielded results. He got one of his siblings back, not all of them. In a way he told her while still hiding it from her. But what else should she expect?

"Emma," Matt's voice made Emma realize he was completely serious about whatever he would say next. And she geared up for whatever warning he had planned that she was probably already aware of. "Klaus isn't a good guy. I know sometimes he seems like a safer option, but he won't- "

"Protect me? Yes, I know that Matt. I know who I'm dealing with, trust me." Emma jumped in, choosing to spare him from wasting his breath. "But can you honestly tell me that I wouldn't be in danger if I sided with you? That one of your risky plans wouldn't end up getting me killed?" She continued on, raising an eyebrow at him as she waited for a reply that never came as Matt remained quiet.

"That's what I thought." She concluded with a knowing tone, making Matt give out a small sigh. He could understand Emma's motives even though he couldn't agree with them. But that was because he'd been friends with their group his whole life. "Wish Caroline a happy birthday from me." Emma said with a tone of finality