Chapter 21 : Was I selfish?

“ Maybe sometimes the hardest decisions we have to make are the ones that God wants us to make ourselves. ”

Nora POV -

“ Nore, I- I need your help. ” Josie stutters from the other side in a worried tone.

“ What's wrong Joe? ” all my laughter vanishes within a second, and millions of bad thoughts cross my mind.

“ Mom is sick, she's throwing up frequently. According to her symptoms, she has food poisoning. She told me she has taken meds but... I would've have gone to her by myself but I have an urgent surgery to assist, I can't go, but I can't leave her alone either, Nore can you please... ”

“ Don't worry, I'll take care of her, just don't panic okay, she'll be fine. ” I assure her meanwhile immediately starts looking for a cab.

“ Thanks Nore, I need to go now. ” she says and hangs the call and I put my phone inside as I wait for a cab.

“ What's up? ” Hans asks as he notices the sudden frown on my face.

“ I need to go, it's an emergency. ” saying that I rush to the cab which stops right in front of me.

He is looking super confused but I seriously have no time to explain him everything, and I know he doesn't care either.

***

Galena, a small town which is almost 3 hours away from Chicago. This is where Josie's mom lives, Josie came to Chicago for her higher medical studies while her mom lives here alone.

I've met her once, when she came to Chicago to attend an event in Josie's hospital when she was awarded with the 'Resident of the year'.

I step out of the cab after paying him through my cell as it halts right in front of Mrs Taylor's house. A small yet beautifully made, I knock the door.

A lady in her mid 60s opens the door,“ Joe, I told you I'm fine... ” she stops when her eyes fall upon me and she realises it's not her daughter Josie.

“ I'm not your Joe, but your Joe sent me to baby sit you. I'm Nora, Josie's friend and roommate. ” I giggle as I introduce myself in case she forgot as we've just met once.

“ Of course I know you Nora, come on in. ” she invites me in and I feel a little relaxed as she sounds better than I imagined because of Josie's panicked tone.

I look around as I walk inside through the narrow corridor with brown wallpaper over the walls matching with the wooden floor, “ I told her I'm fine, I'm so sorry you had to bother. ” she says in her motherly tone as we reach the small yet gorgeous living room.

“ Oh come on, you're like my mom, and I wouldn't feel bothered for taking care of my mom. ” I tell her while my Momma's image snaps inside my head.

“ How are you feeling now? ”

“ I'm much better now, actually I drank pineapple juice yesterday and didn't realize it was expired. But don't tell this to Joe, I can't handle her two hours long lecture. ” she tells me while actually looking scared of her own daughter.

I can totally feel you Mrs. Taylor, even I'm so scared of her Annabelle mode!

“ Your secret is safe with me but you should be more careful. ” I assure her with a small but genuine smile.

***

It's past 10 in the dusk and Mrs. Taylor is fast asleep in her bedroom, and I'm in Josie's bedroom on her queen size bed working on Mrs. Taylor's laptop as Male Bitch has ordered that I have to reschedule a few upcoming meetings, review today's reports, complete expenses report, drafts reports, letters of solicitation, prepare and coordinate oral and written communication with donors and prospects.