014. SOLAMEN MISERIS SOCIOS HABUISSE DOLORIS

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
misery loves company

CHAPTER FOURTEEN— misery loves company

           RHEA LOOKED AT THE STAIRCASE AS TOM DESCENDED INTO THE FOYER. She tapped her finger impatiently at her wrist, signaling that he was late. Her eyes gave him a quick, appreciative once over before turning back to the sitting room where Cato, Pavlina, Rialta, and Pluto were gathered, awaiting the arrival of the family who Rhea dreaded to see. 

"How are they getting here?" Tom asked when he reached Rhea's side. She plucked two flutes of champagne from the tray a house-elf was carrying and shoved one into Tom's hand.

"Floo Network. Grandmother refuses to travel by Portkey." Rhea explained to him, downing the champagne with little effort. 

Emerald green flames shot up in the fireplace and Rhea straightened when she saw the face of her grandmother, Elvira Hel. Elvira had an expressionless look to her that Rhea was used to from years of interacting with the woman. Her emerald colored robes trailed on the floor behind her as she approached her youngest son.

"Cato," Elvira drawled out. Rhea snatched the flute from Tom's hand before he had a chance to take a sip. He frowned at her.

"Why'd you give it to me if I couldn't drink it?" He asked.

"You had your chance before she arrived. Now, let's go and, remember, we're friends." Rhea and Tom smiled fakely at each other before stepping into the room. Elvira turned her head at the new presence of her granddaughter and the unfamiliar boy beside her. 

"Rhea, I see you've brought a friend home. That's a first for you, I believe." Elvira said. She stepped up to her granddaughter and greeted her with cheek kisses. "Care to introduce me?"

"Grandmother, this is my friend, Tom Riddle. Tom, this is my grandmother, Elvira Hel." Rhea introduced them, watching Tom carefully. A dashing smile brightened up his features. 

"I must say it's an honor to meet you, Mrs. Hel." Tom said. 

Elvira raised a brow.

"Is that so?" She asked innocently. Rhea smirked at her grandmother who was fishing for praise.

"I remember learning about you back in third year — you're the longest serving Chief Warlock on the Wizengamot and the youngest to ever be appointed to that position. Rhea knew I was interested in pursuing a career in legislation." Tom explained to Elvira. Rhea's grandmother looked to Rhea with a look of mild surprise. 

"Rhea brought you all the way here to introduce you to me? How generous of her." Rhea thought she heard a hint of skepticism in her grandmother's voice. "You look very familiar, but I don't think I've ever heard of the Riddle family."