026. NATURA IN MINIMA MAXIMA

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
nature is the greatest in the smallest things

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX— nature is the greatest in the smallest things

          WOOL'S ORPHANAGE WAS LOCATED IN THE CENTER OF LONDON. It was a square building surrounded by high railings and, though it appeared to be rundown, the orphanage was nearly spotless when Rhea stepped through the front doors. She was immediately greeted by the sight of young children dashing past her and chasing after one another while one of the matrons chased after her. Rhea turned her head and caught sight of a skinny woman with sharp features making her way through the front of the orphanage with her face pinched in a rather unpleasant way. Rhea stepped into the woman's path, smiling as she did so. The woman stepped back, surprised by the sudden arrival of the young and unfamiliar girl at the orphanage.

"Is there something we can do for you, Miss . . .?" The woman asked, taking in Rhea's appearance. She was well put together and, unlike other witches and wizards who ventured into Muggle towns, Rhea had spent more than enough time learning how to blend in amongst the Muggles. She no longer visited London wearing her dress robes since she knew that would attract unwanted attention and she opted for something that was more fitting for the times. She took care picking out a skirt and blouse which were unassuming with simple colors, but made of nice enough material that the Muggles would think she was wealthy and wouldn't treat her as though she had come off the street. 

"Hel." Rhea introduced, holding her hand out to the woman. The lady's brow raised before she shook Rhea's hand.

"I'm Mrs. Cole." Mrs. Cole introduced.

"It's lovely to meet you, Mrs. Cole. I do hate to drop in unannounced and unexpectedly, but I'm supposed to be meeting one of my friends from school who lives here." Rhea said. Mrs. Cole raised an inquiring brow, wondering which one of her orphans could've managed to befriend someone like Rhea. "His name is Tom Riddle."

Any kindness that was in Mrs. Cole's face dropped from her features the moment Rhea mentioned the name of the boy she had come all the way from Wiltshire to see. As though Rhea had said something to deeply offend the woman, Mrs. Cole turned her nose up to the ceiling and looked down at Rhea in  a way that made Rhea tilt her head curiously to the side.

"Ah, I see." Mrs. Cole said, frowning in distaste. She inspected Rhea once more and Rhea, eager to know what the woman was thinking, took a peek inside her mind. Mrs. Cole believed that Rhea was nothing more than a foolish, rich girl who had gotten wrapped up with the 'wrong sort'. She certainly didn't have anything nice to think about Tom, who, in Mrs. Cole's eyes, was the devil in disguise. When Rhea saw flashes of memories where Tom was cowering away from Mrs. Cole as the woman approached him, Rhea wondered if the woman standing before her was the reason Tom was so averse to being touched. "Mr. Riddle can be found in Room 27 though, for your sake, I advise you not to be left alone in the romo with him."