035. DULCE PUELLA MALUM EST

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE
the woman is a sweet poison

        "WHAT'S A HORCRUX?" The question was out of Tom's mouth before he had a chance to truly process what Rhea was telling him as he raked his brain for any mention of a Horcrux from the numerous books he had flipped through, although he knew he would come up empty. A horcrux. Rhea spoke lowly, her tone slightly hesitant like it was forbidden for her to talk about. Her eyes darted around, as though she expected one of her family members to appear in the middle of the Room of Hidden Things and hex her for telling an outsider — a half-blood — their family secrets. 

Rhea sighed, thinking back to her mother and Veles Fawley. She knew that, together, they had created their own Horcruxes. She always assumed her mother must have kept her Horcrux in the shed or wore it since she died in the fire. 

"I don't understand it fully, we hardly talk about it. The first known one was created by Herpo the Foul. It's a way for a wizard to hide a part of their soul to become immortal by splitting your soul." 

"How do you split your soul?" 

"I don't know." Rhea frowned, watching Tom's curiosity unfold. She could see the thoughts spinning around in his head and he was looking at her like she had just given him some great treasure. "I never cared to ask."

"Could you?" Tom asked. Rhea shook her head sharply.

"I can't risk my family finding out that I'm telling you about Horcruxes. You'll have to find some other way." Rhea said. 

Tom's brows pulled together and he quickly began to rake his mind for a solution. He doubted any library book, even the ones in the Restricted Section, would be able to answer his questions. But, experienced wizards, like their Professors, would surely have answers and Tom knew exactly who he would ask.

"Slughorn," Tom said finally. "I'll get Professor Slughorn to tell me about Horcruxes."

"Tom . . ." Rhea said in a voice that gave Tom pause. There was something in her expression that nearly made him recoil from surprise. Buried underneath her usual passive expression was concern. For him. He blinked and it was gone. "The one thing I do know about splitting your soul is that it changes you, drastically. Even doing it once does irreparable damage. Are you . . . are you sure this is something you want to do?"

"Yes." Tom said. He didn't even have to think about it. Death was one challenge he was determined to overcome. He could picture it now — him, a powerful and immortal wizard who had worked his way up until every wizard knew his name. "I'm sure."

Rhea and Tom left the Room of Requirement and made their way back to the Great Hall, only to find Davina standing in the hallway with her arms crossed and an impatient look on her face. 

"I should've known." Davina rolled her eyes. Tom sent Rhea a questioning glance that she ignored as they approved Davina, who was glaring daggers at the both of them. "Tom, you said you were going to the bathroom. I had to dance with Abraxas."

"I'm sure he enjoyed that." Rhea whispered sarcastically. The corner of Tom's lips lifted ever so slightly before he turned to Davina, regretting having asked her to come with him in the first place. Rhea placed an apologetic smile on her face. "Sorry, Davina. Tom and I were only —"

"Save your excuses. Let's go back inside, Tom. There's still enough time for us to get a couple more dances in." Davina said. Tom glanced back at Rhea but her attention had wandered down the hall where Delphine Erebus was standing, waiting patiently for Rhea to come to her.