001. IN OMNIA PARATUS

CHAPTER ONE
prepared in all things

         RHEA HEL STAYED IN THE SHADOW OF DAVINA SELWYN

         RHEA HEL STAYED IN THE SHADOW OF DAVINA SELWYN. Davina, who was known for terrorizing young students and using fear to exalt her "rule", had taken the youngest Hel under wing the moment Rhea had been sorted into Slytherin. Davina had six loyal followers that flocked around her — Druella Rosier, Persephone Zabini, Walburga Black, Seraphina Yaxley, and Rhea Hel.

It was due to this that Tom Riddle never gave much thought to Rhea Hel before. His loyal group of followers would occasionally speak about the girl, mostly to admire her looks or  when speaking about her brother, Pluto, but Rhea Hel never interested him much. He didn't care for people who wore their hearts on their sleeve and that was precisely the kind of person he thought Rhea Hel was. She'd flash kind, demure smiles to her peers and never had a bad thing to say about anyone. Lupe Nott had once said, "there wasn't a bad bone in Rhea Hel's body" and that left Tom with a sense of disgust whenever he looked at her.

She'd smile shyly at him on the rare occasions their eyes would meet and he'd flash her one of his charming ones that never quite reached his eyes. She never flocked around him like the others had and he was glad for that. He wanted nothing to do with either of the Hel's. Or, at least, that's what he thought until his loyal servant, Ramsey Lestrange, came to him with information that would force him to speak to Rhea Hel.

"The Black Book," Ramsey stated proudly during one of their meetings in the Room of Requirement. The fireplace cackled as Tom stared into the flame, his back turned to the five boys and the three girls that gathered behind him. "It's a collection of the darkest magic and stories that we are forbidden to learn about."

Tom's cold, dark eyes slid over the group when he turned around.

Abraxas Malfoy, Lupe Nott, Cassius Avery, Orpheus Mulciber, Ramsey Lestrange, Druella Rosier, Avida Carrow, and Astrea Ravenswood looked at him like he was their master — and he was.

He relished in their looks of submission that, each of them too afraid to get on his bad side. Astrea looked at him with an expression of adoration that Tom constantly used to his advantage.

"Why am I only hearing about this book now?" He asked coldly, his voice and his expression devoid of emotion. The seven of them exchanged glances and Druella stepped forward.

"There's only one copy of that book in existence." Druella said apprehensively. She shot an accusatory look at Ramsey. She had told him about the book privately and couldn't believe the first thing he did was run and tell Tom. Tom sent her an annoyed expression, wondering why she looked so cautious.