021. MORS TUA, VITA MEA

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
your death, my life

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE— your death, my life

        "ONE OF OUR OWN STUDNETS, Myrtle Warren, a Ravenclaw, was found dead by Olive Hornby in the second-floor girl's bathroom earlier this evening," Professor Dippet announced to the school after they had been dragged out of their beds in the middle of the night and called to congregate in the Great Hall. There was a ripple of chatter as the students turned to each other, looking panicked and terrified. Rhea stared down the table and witnessed Tom gripping the edge of the table so tightly his knuckles began to turn white. Rhea glanced towards the Ravenclaw table where her brother sat, his eyebrows pulled tightly together as he worked to console some of the younger students who were sobbing at the news. "Classes will be cancelled indefinitely."

Seraphina leaned closer to the girls, whispering, "I can't believe someone died! I thought Hogwarts was supposed to be safe."

"My parents aren't going to want me going to a school where students are turning up dead and the faculty has no leads on who is behind these attacks." Davina said, shaking her head with pursed lips. 

"They'll probably close down the school." Persephone said. Rhea turned her head when Persephone said that.

"They can't close Hogwarts, can they?" Rhea asked. She didn't want Hogwarts to close for good. If the school did then she'd probably be shipped off to either Beauxbatons or Durmstrang (most likely the latter since she had connections there) and she's worked far too hard on her reputation to throw it out the window now.

"They would if they can't catch the culprit." Walburga said. Druella nodded in agreement.

"So, if they caught who was behind the attacks then everything would go back to normal?" Rhea asked. Rhea ignored the way Davina narrowed her eyes suspiciously at her as Walburga nodded.

"Probably."

Rhea hummed thoughtfully to herself, a plan forming in her mind.

The students were to be escorted back to their common rooms and weren't allowed to leave until breakfast in a few hours. Rhea pushed through the crowd of Slytherins who were on their way to the dungeons until she stood behind Tom.

"What the hell did you do?" She hissed into his ear. Tom glanced around to make sure no one was paying attention to them before he grabbed Rhea's wrist tightly and pulled her into an empty classroom. He slammed the door shut behind them. He began to pace back and forth anxiously. 

His hair looked as though he had been tugging on it and, for the first time since Tom Riddle had entered her life, he wasn't composed like he normally was. He had screwed up and he knew it. 

"She wasn't supposed to be there. There was no one else in the bathroom when I went down there, but when I came back . . ." Tom continued to pace back and forth . . . back and forth . . .