003. QUID PRO QUO

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀
something for something

       RHEA NOTICED THE LOOKS OF CONCERN PERSEPHONE WAS GIVING DRUELLA WHEN SHE CAME TO BREAKFAST LOOKING PALER THAN NORMAL

       RHEA NOTICED THE LOOKS OF CONCERN PERSEPHONE WAS GIVING DRUELLA WHEN SHE CAME TO BREAKFAST LOOKING PALER THAN NORMAL. Rhea mirrored Persephone's expression as Druella sat down across from her, slightly swaying as she did so.

"Are you all right, Druella?" Persephone asked. There was a crease between her eyebrows when they drew together. Apart from herself, Rhea believed Persephone was the most intelligent of the girls. Rhea knew Persephone didn't particularly like Davina all that much but she, like  the rest of the girls, tolerated her. Davina was the Slytherin prefect and nobody wanted to get on her bad side.

"I'm fine. I feel a bit sick, is all." Druella waved them off. 

Rhea raised her cup to her mouth and took a sip of her orange juice. When Druella had been sleeping, Rhea dropped a few droplets of poison into her mouth. That was enough at the time, and she planned to do it again for the next few nights. It would make Druella sick enough, but the controlled doses wouldn't kill her. 

The poison was her father's own creation. It was his preferred method of torture and he had used it on his enemies before. No one outside of the Hel family knew how to make it and they were the only ones that could make the antidote. Rhea was confident no one would be able to trace it back to her and that was all that mattered.

"Perhaps you should lie down." Rhea said. Her tone expressed concern and there was a frown lining her face when she looked at Druella. Seraphina and Walburga nodded their heads in agreement. "You'd only be missing History of Magic, Charms, and Care of Magical Creatures today. I could give you my notes —"

"She'll be fine." Davina snapped at Rhea.

Rhea's jaw clenched. She had always thought Davina was too arrogant for her own good. The Selwyn's weren't the most powerful or influential wizarding family and Davina knew it so she was always grasping for power wherever she could get it. And they all let her. Rhea wondered why neither Druella or Walburga stood up to Davina when she spoke to them the way she did, but they were too scared to.

Rhea could feel eyes boring into the side of her skull when she resumed eating her breakfast. She glanced out of the corner of her eye and saw Tom Riddle staring at her while Ramsey Lestrange spoke to him. She allowed for a small smile to grace her face and he turned away from her.

But, she felt the familiar knocking sensation on her head. He loved showing off his skills, she realized, but she was better. She had been practicing Occlumency and Legilimency at home before she even attended Hogwarts. It was a staple in the Hel house and her father knew those skills would come in handy. Even Pluto had never been as good as Rhea was. He couldn't create false memories like she could or hide his thoughts from skilled Legilimens.