020. MORS OMNIBUS

CHAPTER TWENTY
death to all

CHAPTER TWENTY— death to all

          RHEA WAS SHAKEN AWAKE BY SERAPHINA WHEN THE BASILISK CLAIMED ITS FIRST VICTIM. Seraphina's eyes were wide and frantic and the rest of Rhea's roommates were running around the room as they were called out of their beds and told to gather in the common room. As Rhea tied a robe over her nightgown, she knew that Tom had followed through on what he had said to her. After months of waiting, Tom Riddle had finally opened the Chamber of Secrets and the Basilisk petrified its first victim — a muggleborn Gryffindor named Louisa Miller.

"Headmaster Dippet cancelled classes for the rest of the day while Madam Chevalier tries to help the Gryffindor girl," Davina informed them, walking over to where the group of Slytherin girls were seated in the common room. Rhea glanced around and looked for any sign of Tom, but he and the rest of his band of followers had disappeared while everyone was too busy freaking out over what happened. Davina sat down in the spot beside Seraphina and leaned back in her seat. "That's too bad. I was actually looking forward to double Potions today."

"What do you think it was? What if the thing that attacked Louisa attacks us too?" Seraphina asked, her hands shaking violently. "How are all of you so calm? Someone was attacked!"

The girls turned to Rhea expectantly, pleading for her to calm Seraphina down before the girl lost her head and drew more attention to  them. 

Rhea forced a sympathetic look on her face and took Seraphina's hand in hers. Seraphina's eyes met Rhea's, wide and fearful, and Rhea smiled kindly at her.

"There's no need to worry, Seraphina. Hogwarts is the safest place for us to be at. I'm sure Headmaster Dippet will find whatever or whoever did this and put a stop to it at once." Rhea reassured Seraphina. Seraphina's shoulders relaxed and she nodded her head at Rhea's words.

"Oh, great," Walburga groaned. Rhea looked over Druella's shoulder and saw a girl with brown hair and an arrogant look on her face making her way over to them. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Here comes Olive Hornby."

Olive Hornby was a girl in their year with a personality so horrible she could put Davina to shame. Olive had been trying to worm her way into their group since first year, but Rhea knew Davina would never allow Olive to be one of them. 

"Can you believe someone's been attacked?" Olive asked. Rhea watched amusedly as Olive sat down in the spot beside Persephone. Persephone moved closer to Rhea to distance herself from the girl. "I'm just glad it was a muggleborn Gryffindor instead of one of us."

"One of us." Davina repeated with a laugh. Walburga and Druella hid their chuckles behind their hands and Olive's face flamed red from embarrassment. Davina rolled her eyes at Olive before turning away from the girl and engaging in conversation with Persephone. Olive Hornby stomped away from them, angered.