028. ANTE BELLUM

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT
before war

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT— before war

HOW?

Tom's question filled the room and caused Rhea to hold her breath. She sent him a wary gaze and could feel herself beginning to regret telling Tom her biggest secret. But, Tom stared at her with a dark kind of curiosity on his face that made Rhea's shoulders relax. Other people — most people — would have recoiled or cowered in fear if she told she killed her mother, but not Tom. Tom leaned forward and patiently waited for her to answer his question, but she supposed that she should expect this kind of attention from someone who just framed his last living relative for the death of his father and grandparents. A part of Rhea — the part that had been conditioned to never trust anyone except herself — wanted to drop the conversation entirely, but there was another part of her that was dying to tell someone what she did.

"I'll show you." Rhea said, interrupting the loud silence that had filled the room as Tom waited for her answer. He perked up when she hesitantly made her way over to him. Tom held his breath in eager anticipation as Rhea lifted the walls she constantly kept up to block her mind from being read. Tom closed his eyes as he was sucked into one of her memories and relived everything through her eyes.

Rhea wiped the tears from her cheeks and rose from the bench in the garden, feeling herself drawn to the sound of laughter coming from the shed in the garden where her mother was hiding out with the man she was cheating on Cauius with. Rhea crept through the garden, her footsteps silent as she made her way to the shed.

There was a hatred burning inside of her that was so great it nearly took her by surprise. The years of torment and abuse at the hands of Caliope Hel were coming back to her in flashes. She thought about all the times she had been locked in the cold, damp cellar for days on end with the ghosts and other kinds of dark creatures that resided in it; She thought about how her mother had hated her since the day she was born; and, lastly, she thought about Eddie and how her mother had forced her to be the one that murdered him.

She could feel the palm of her hands warming like they did whenever she started to become too angry. It was her magic, and the green Hel fire, reacting to her emotions and she knew that she could cause damage.

Rhea stood outside of the door to the shed and turned her head back to the house where her brother was currently inside, most likely reading a book or playing the piano without a single worry in the world. Some small part of her wished that Pluto would call for her and keep her from doing what she was about to do, but she was met with silence.

Rhea placed her hand on the doorknob and listened for the sound of the lock to click on the other side. The sound of laughter died and Rhea watched as someone moved forward to try to pry open the door.

"What is it?" A man's voice asked and Rhea recognized him instantly as Cyril Avery, an old friend of her father's. Her mother pulled the handle once more.