025. CREDE QUOD HABES, ET HABES

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
fake it till you make it

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE— fake it till you make it

        PLUTO WASN'T AFRAID TO ADMIT THAT HE WAS TERRIFIED. He was terrified the moment his sister had barged into the room and pointed her finger at him with fury blazing in her eyes, hissing the word you from her lips in a way that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. He was terrified when he felt the hot tip of her wand dig into the bottom of his chin while he had held him firmly against the wall and looked at him with an expression on her face that made him think about their mother. But, most of all, Pluto Hel was terrified by the idea that his sister — his twin sister whom he loved more than anyone else in the world  — could hate him. 

He knew his sister, probably better than anyone in the world, and he knew that when Rhea was mad, it was next to impossible to convince her that the anger wasn't worth it. Rhea never forgave and she never forgot and Pluto had betrayed her in such a way that he wasn't sure if their relationship would ever recover from it.

He had felt the guilt for telling their mother about Eddie and Rhea's relationship every day for the past two years. It first came to him the night that his sister came to him with her face lined with fresh tears and her expression crumbled in one of pure agony to tell him that Eddie was dead. He would never forget the look on her face when she threw herself into his arms and pleaded for him to make the pain go away, to make her not feel the weight of her loss anymore. Pluto had, so foolishly, believed that telling Caliope would be the only way to save Rhea from her own stupid decisions, but he failed to realize (as he always did) that Caliope had not been the same warm and loving mother she was with Pluto to her daughter. Caliope hadn't sung Rhea to sleep with lullabies or take her on fascinating adventures throughout England. Caliope Hel had permanently secured the spot as Rhea's least favorite person and Pluto had gone to her with Rhea's biggest secret.

"What did you do, Pluto?" Pavlina whispered harshly into Pluto's ear after she and Uncle Cato dragged him out of the room before Rhea could do any more damage to him. They sat in one of the many other dark and empty rooms of Krane Manor, though Pluto could clearly hear the sounds of music and people congregating downstairs from the gathering the Krane's were throwing in Rhea's honor. Pluto wiped the tears that streamed down his face and sunk to the floor, peering up at the curious faces of his Aunt and Uncle with one of anguish. 

"Rhea will never forgive me." Pluto shook his head furiously. He gripped the ends of his blonde hair and his heart felt as though it was going to leap from his chest at any moment. How did she find out? "Whatever that test was . . . she found out I was the one who told our mother that she and Eddie were together. She found out I was the one who got him killed."

To Pluto's surprise, Pavlina and Cato seemed to exhale a breath they had both been holding. Their shoulders relaxed and they exchanged a silent look of relief.