022. FAMILIA SUPRA OMNIA

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
family over everything

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO— family over everything

GAIA KRANE WASN'T A VERY SUPERSTITIOUS WOMAN, A FACT THAT HER HUSBAND FOUND TO BE RATHER IRONIC SINCE HIS ENTIRE FAMILY WAS EXTREMELY SUPERSTITIOUS. He had been raised to believe that black cats symbolize good luck and a bird flying home was a sign of death. There were hundreds of superstitions that the Krane's vehemently believed in, but Gaia had been raised by Sofia and Anton Cercel and despite the fact that they, like the Krane's, had the same upbringing rooted in Romanian beliefs and superstitions, her parents had been realists and they raised her to be one too.

Krane Manor had come to life with the announcement that there would be guests joining them to stay the week. Gaia had heard a range of all sorts of stories about the Hel family and when Atlas introduced her to the youngest of the Hel twins at the Rosier's Easter party, she became utterly fascinated by the family. While the Krane's dabbled in their fair share of forbidden or forgotten magic, the Hel's had always been known for their dark ways. When she attended Durmstrang, she remembered spending time learning about the Hel's in her Dark Arts class even though they were an English wizarding family and she was all the way in Russia. Their reputation preceded them and Gaia had to admit that she invited the Hel's to her home for completely selfish reasons.

But, the Krane's were superstitious and when her husband's sister, Keres Krane, walked into the sitting room to tell her sister-in-law that she had a dream, Gaia found herself wondering if she made a mistake in expressing interest in the Hel's.

Gaia Krane wasn't a superstitious woman, but when Keres Krane had a dream, she listened.

"Rhea Hel will be the death of your son," Keres warned. The scarlet-haired woman's face was gravely serious as she looked at Gaia through the same dark, lidded eyes that had become a staple of their family. Her slender and narrow face reminded Gaia of the woman that had come before her — Deineira Krane, who died the year after Gaia joined the family. Keres, like her mother, never liked Gaia all that much and the feeling was mutual. Gaia had to stand by while her husband opened his home to his sister and her two sons, Vano and Silvanus, following the death of her horrible husband two summers ago. Her and Keres had formed a silent agreement that they would stay out of each other's way as much as they could. Gaia would stay silent about the weird rituals and seances she caught Keres conducting while Keres would turn the other cheek to Gaia's meddling ways. "She spoke to me in a dream."

"What did she say?" Gaia asked. It wasn't uncommon for Keres to have dreams of people she had never met before. Adonis always told her that Keres inherited their mother's talent for seeing things in dreams.

"Wherever that girl and her family goes, death and destruction follow. She warned us to not let her marry Atlas because he would die if she did."

Gaia froze. She knew Keres wasn't aware of the conversation she had with Adonis and Atlas the previous night when Adonis told Atlas he would be advocating for a marriage between Rhea and their son. Atlas yelled and screamed and argued long into the night, but Gaia knew his efforts would prove futile. When Adonis Krane set his mind to something it was extremely difficult to convince him otherwise. Atlas begged them to reconsider. He begged them to think of his future and what he wanted, but Adonis shook his head and told them both that a union between the Krane's and the Hel's would be in their best interest.