048. FORTUNA CAECA EST

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT
—  fate is blind

             RHEA COULD FEEL TOM'S GAZE PIERCING THE SIDE OF HER SKULL AS SHE ATTEMPTED TO FOCUS ON PROFESSOR PRINCE'S LESSON. Rhea's quill moved rapidly across the parchment as she attempted to remember her Professor's every word. Scribbled across the board read the words Philosopher's Stone – the topic of Professor Prince's latest lecture which seemed to make the class feel twice as long as it normally did. Despite his rambling, most of Rhea's attention was on the sacrifice she would be performing in the Dark Forest in two days time. Atlas's aunt, Keres Krane, would meet Rhea, Tom, and Rhea's victim in the village at midnight during the full moon. Rhea had yet to decide how she was going to lure the Gryffindor — a girl who's name she did not know — to the forest but Rhea was sure she would find a way.

"— The subject of all wondering on Earth . . . everywhere found, known by few, called by none by its proper name, but covered with figures and riddles without which neither alchemy nor natural magic can attain its complete end or perfection," Professor Prince lectured to the group of students. Rhea's attention turned to her professor at the mention of natural magic. Atlas had told her of the same thing — it was something his aunt and her secret society believed in. "Some believed it could change the face of the whole world if combined with the Universal Medicine, and a machine that could move forever of its own accord. Alchemists called the quest to find the Philosopher Stone, the Magnum Opus."

A Hufflepuff who sat across from Rhea raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss Macmillan?"

"Professor, I was wondering what the Universal Medicine you mentioned was?"

"Alchemists once believed there was a universal medicine called the panacea which could be used to cure all diseases. The Philosopher's Stone alone can be used to create the Elixir of Life, granting the power of immortality, however the panacea and the machine would give whichever witch or wizard could control them unimaginable power.

"Take Agrippa for example — he believed that, with the power of the Philosopher's Stone, one could purify the earth through fire and washing in order to perform true magic."

Rhea could not escape the uneasy feeling that settled over her at the mention of purification and natural magic. Professor Prince was teaching them about something Atlas had told her about over the summer holiday. Keres followed the Element of the First Order, believing that the Earth would be reborn through fire. Rhea thought it was all rubbish, so she was surprised to hear about it in class.

"What is natural magic, Professor?" Tom asked from his seat on the other side of Rhea and Persephone's shared desk where he sat with Lupe.

"Natural magic is magic at its purest state. There is no difference between light and dark, good or evil. Magic would flow freely and unrestricted by the rules of wizards and Muggles. But, the idea of purification is an extremist wizard point of view. However, it is an alchemical procedure and ancient wizards believed the Philosopher's Stone was capable of harnessing great power. Now we know the only Philosopher's Stone which has ever been produced was by alchemist Nicolas Flamel in the fourteenth century,"

Rhea knew Tom would not be interested in the Stone now that he could create his Horcruxes, but Rhea was slightly intrigued by the idea of natural magic and wondered what it could do. The idea of free flowing magic intrigued – no rules or restrictions. True freedom.

Alchemy dragged on with more talk of the Philosopher's Stone until class came to an end. Rhea sent Persephone off with a promise to meet her in the library to study after break. As Persephone fled to her next class, Rhea carefully took the time to gather her books until the rest of the class emptied out, leaving only her and Tom.