024. QUID ME NUTRIT ME DESTRUIT

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
what nourishes me also destroys me

  THE WORST DAY OF RHEA'S LIFE BEGAN AS ANY ORDINARY DAY

THE WORST DAY OF RHEA'S LIFE BEGAN AS ANY ORDINARY DAY. The sun peeked through her bedroom window and the birds could be heard chirping outside her window when sat at her desk to brush her hair. Hel House had been quieter than usual that day too. It had been one of those rare nights when the spirits didn't make an appearance and Rhea was allowed to have a peaceful night of sleep. Her father was gone — off somewhere fighting alongside Grindelwald —  and her mother had disappeared with Pluto for the day, leaving Rhea to make her way to the woods where Eddie's treehouse was.

She hummed a tune to herself while she climbed the ladder and she could hear Eddie's footsteps pacing around above her. She imagined him running a hand anxiously through his hair and chewing on the bottom of his lip while he thought about what bothered him. Rhea lifted the latch and pulled herself into the treehouse.

"Rhea," Eddie said, turning around to face her. A small grin formed on his face when he saw her standing in front of him. Within seconds, Eddie made his way across the treehouse and pulled her to him, giving her one of his warm hugs that she loved so much. She could still remember the first time he had ever hugged her when they were eleven. She had gone stiff and hadn't moved for a few moments from shock. Eddie was the first person to ever hug her and she felt safe when he did. "We need to talk."

"Talk about what?" Rhea asked, frowning slightly when Eddie dropped his arms from around her. He took her hand in his and pulled her to sit on the two chairs that were pushed against the window of the treehouse. That's when Rhea noticed the solemn look in Eddie's eyes. "Eddie, what's the matter?"

"Run away with me." Eddie blurted out suddenly. Rhea's eyes widened and she resisted the urge to ask Eddie if he was going mad. Eddie took a deep breath and gathered his thoughts, "Rhea, I don't want to sneak around anymore worrying about whether or not your Mum will come bursting through that day. I love you. I love you more than I've ever loved anyone in my whole life and I know that you and I aren't just some thing. This is real. We may be young, but a love like this doesn't come around twice. We could take the train and get out of here."

"Eddie, I can't just leave my family. I have a life here, you have a life here. There are things that are expected of us and . . . can't you just wait a few more years? We're so young now, Eddie."

"Will you tell your mother about us?" Eddie asked. Rhea inhaled sharply at Eddie's question. It had been something he had been asking ever since they were kids. Would she ever tell her family about him? Her gaze dropped to the ground and she wondered what her mother's reaction would be if she told her she had fallen in love with a Muggle and had been seeing him behind her back. She shuddered at the thought. The only person in her family who knew about Eddie was Pluto and that was because Rhea knew Pluto would never tell their mother about them.