029. ANIMAM AGERE

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
to have one's last breath

          "THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA," Tom grumbled as he and Rhea walked down the cobblestone lined streets of France in the direction of a door that was guarded by two men in black dress robes

          "THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA," Tom grumbled as he and Rhea walked down the cobblestone lined streets of France in the direction of a door that was guarded by two men in black dress robes. Despite the fact that the only light came from the moon, Rhea could make out the tips of wands sticking out of the guards pockets as they approached. She shot Tom an irritated look since she had to deal with his criticisms ever since they left the inn they were staying where she told him about her brilliant plan. Admittedly, there were a few details she could've ironed out and a number of things could go wrong, but it wasn't like Tom had come up with anything better when they were bouncing ideas around for three days.

"I don't hear you coming up with anything better." Rhea hissed, keeping one eye trained on the guards as they noticed their presence. Rhea saddled closer to Tom and he glanced down at her with a look of annoyance she was all too familiar with. Rhea sent him a pointed look, "You have to at least act like you like me."

Tom discreetly rolled his eyes and allowed for Rhea to snake her hand around his arm before she plastered a dazzling smile on her face and stared at the two stoic-looking guards. They glared at them and crossed their arms.

"Names." The guard closest to Rhea said in a deep tone. Rhea cleared her throat and spoke in a well-rehearsed, thick Bulgarian accent that she had spent a lot of time perfecting with Pavlina.

"My name is Tatyana Andriev, and this is my fiancé Viktor." Rhea said smoothly. The real Tatyana Andriev and her fiancé were currently nursing a terrible illness at the local hospital in Place Cachée.

The second guard waved his wand and a long list appeared in his hand. His eyes dropped down, scanning it quickly before he found their names written in black ink. He firmly nodded his head before the doors opened and they allowed Rhea and Tom to pass through.

The sound of music could be heard the second Rhea and Tom descended the steps into the darkness of the underground pub. There was a narrow hall at the end of the stairs before they rounded a corner and entered a room that was filled with wizards. There was a singer at center stage who was belting out a tune as people danced with their partners on the floor. The bartender was hurriedly pouring drinks when wizards ran up to him. The atmosphere of the underground pub was nice, but Rhea had to remind herself that she and Tom hadn't made their way to the place for their own entertainment.

"You're certain that they'll come?" Tom asked. Rhea nodded her head as a witch carrying a plate of drinks walked past them.

"I was the one who tipped them off. They'll come and then we will continue with our plan. In the meantime, we'll need to be careful." Rhea said, grabbing a glass of dark red liquid from the tray. Tom looked at her curiously.

"Careful? Why?" He asked. Rhea leaned closer to him so that no one could overhear them.

"Because we're being watched." Rhea's gaze flickered to a man who stood on the balcony of the pub overlooking everyone. His eyes were dark and, occasionally, they would flicker over towards Rhea and Tom. She guided them out of his line-of-sight when he turned his head.