023. MEMENTO MORI

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
remember that you will die

       "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" Pluto's cold voice interrupted the silence Rhea sat in

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" Pluto's cold voice interrupted the silence Rhea sat in. The cool summer night breeze brushed against her skin as she stared out at the lake that sat at the bottom of the hill hidden behind the stables at Krane Manor. Rhea had the faces of the guests at the dinner party imprinted in her mind. The look of horror on Rialta's face when Rhea agreed to take the test had contrasted greatly from the look of pride her grandmother sent her way. The two people who looked the most displeased by Rhea's decision had been Gaia and Keres. She could tell they hadn't expected her to agree to take the test — no one had. Rhea turned to look at her brother when he dropped onto the stone bench beside her, gazing at her with a grave expression on his face that didn't quite match the rage in his eyes. "Atlas warned you against it. He told you not to do it yet you went ahead anyway. What do you have to prove to these people, Rhea?"

Rhea rolled her eyes and brushed her brother's comments aside.

"I'm not trying to prove anything —"

"It's like you have some sort of death wish. You're only sixteen. You don't have to marry the moment you leave Hogwarts —"

"That's easy for you to say." Rhea scoffed, turning to her brother with a cold look in her green eyes. Pluto clamped his mouth shut when he heard the chilling tone in Rhea's voice. "You could do whatever you wanted, but I don't have that luxury. Don't act as if I had a choice back there, Pluto. You don't get it."

Pluto sighed and Rhea turned back to the lake that gleamed in the moonlight.

"What happens if you fail?" Pluto asked.

Rhea jaw tightened.

"I'm not going to fail."

"Now isn't the time for you to be overly confident —"

"This isn't over-confidence and this isn't me making some stupid mistake. Failure is not an option for me. No matter what happens, I'll push through. I'll find a way." A sly grin spread on Rhea's lips when she noticed the tightness in Pluto's shoulders didn't go away despite her words. "I'm Rhea Hel, remember? I always win."

Pluto chuckled at his sister and Rhea turned back to the lake, taking a deep breath.

Rhea wouldn't admit it to anyone, but she was a tad nervous for the test. While she didn't fear death, she preferred not to die. The hardest part about the whole thing was not knowing what she should expect and the way the Krane's were walking around and staring at her like she signed her death sentence had her second guessing whether or not it was worth it.

All this for Atlas Krane.

Rhea spent most of the next morning casting luck charms. She had no idea whether or not they would even work, but she couldn't let her own doubts stop her from trying. She continued to cast the charms until she was interrupted by someone she didn't expect to seek her out — Selene Krane.