030. FALLACES SUNT RERUM SPECIES

CHAPTER THIRTY
the appearances of things are often deceptive

THÉRÈSE DURAND GREW UP HEARING STORIES ABOUT WIZARDS AND OTHER MAGICAL CREATURES WHO HAD PLAGUED HER FAMILY'S VILLAGES LONG AGO

THÉRÈSE DURAND GREW UP HEARING STORIES ABOUT WIZARDS AND OTHER MAGICAL CREATURES WHO HAD PLAGUED HER FAMILY'S VILLAGES LONG AGO. She had been amongst the first people in her town to step up and join La société when curious attacks began happening throughout various countries. She dedicated a majority of her time to fighting wizards and purging the world of the dangers they posed.

Thérèse couldn't help but be reminded of the reason she joined la société as she stared up at the face of the witch she had captured. Thérèse fell to the ground, stumbling over her boots, and crawled away from the witch who stalked towards her with a long stick in her hand and a wicked smile twisted onto her red lips. Behind her stood the wizard she came with and he raised his wand at one of the few remaining members of la société de Balthasar who had yet to fall victim to their magic.

On the other hand, Rhea found herself enjoying the way the witch-hunters trembled at the sight of her and Tom making their way down the hall while Paule and Remi struck down anyone who got in their way. After the two Muggles were killed in the fight, Rhea and Tom took matters into their own hands.

She was drunk off the power she felt holding her wand over the cowering faces of Muggles who were hunting her kind.

"Mercy . . . please . . ." Thérèse said, raising her shaky hand to shield her face from Rhea. Rhea rolled her eyes and readjusted her grip on her wand while a flash of light went off in the corner of her eye as Tom took out another hunter.

Rhea smirked at the fearful woman before she pointed her wand at her. She opened her mouth, ready to say a spell that would kill Thérèse in an instant when the woman raised her hands.

"Wait, wait! We were hired! We were hired!" Thérèse exclaimed. Rhea froze, narrowing her eyes at the woman's face as Thérèse stared at Rhea. Tom, having heard Thérèse's words, made his way over to the pair. "Y-your name is Rhea Hel and that's Tom Riddle."

Rhea and Tom exchanged a dark look with one another. Rhea could see anger brewing underneath his surface when she stepped forward and pulled Thérèse from the ground by the front of her collar. The woman's face paled as she stared into Rhea's cold, dark eyes. Rhea dug the tip of her wand into her neck.

"Who hired you? And, don't lie or else there will be consequences." Though Rhea's smile was sweet, Thérèse could hear the sharp edge in her tone that told her that this witch was not someone to mess with.

"I-I don't know their names. Five of them came to us in the dead of the night. They told us that someone was going to tip us off and lead us to an underground club. Once we raided the club, we would get two wizards named Rhea Hel and Tom Riddle who we were instructed to kill." Thérèse said frantically. Rhea tilted her head to the side, mulling over Thérèse's words.