031. IN ABSENTIA LUCIS, TENEBRAE VINCUNT

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
in the absence of light, darkness prevails

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE— in the absence of light, darkness prevails

"YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT." Tom's sharp voice, cutting through the silence of Rhea's compartment as the Hogwarts Express pulled away from King's Cross. She glanced up from The Black Book and blinked, surprised that she hadn't noticed Tom entering since she was so engrossed in reading one of the final sections her mother worked on — Immortality. Rhea closed the book and shifted it off her lap as Tom slid into the seat across from her.

"Lovely to see you too." Rhea said sarcastically. Tom rolled his eyes.

"I want to learn more about dark magic and you're the only person who can teach it to me." Tom said. Tom narrowed his eyes at Rhea when she let out a noncommittal sigh. "You're a Knight now and I helped you —"

"Fine." Rhea said, flashing Tom a tight-lipped smile. "I've been studying up on a few things that I want to try out. Meet me in the entrance hall at midnight during the next full moon."

Tom nodded, satisfied Rhea had agreed so willingly. The compartment doors opened once more and Rhea resisted the urge to groan when Ramsey Lestrange and Abraxas Malfoy poked their heads into the compartment, their eyes landed on Tom immediately.

"There you are, Tom." Abraxas said. His gaze momentarily landed on Rhea, though his reaction was noticeably different from Ramsey's. Ramsey's entire face lit up at the sight of Rhea sitting across from Tom and Rhea smiled endearingly at him. Abraxas, who didn't look pleased, mimicked Tom's reaction and blamched at the sight of them.

"Rhea, I haven't seen you in awhile." Ramsey said smoothly, smiling charmingly as he slid into the sit beside her. Tom wasn't happy at the interruption, but Rhea didn't mind the attention. Having Ramsey Lestrange — someone who was close and loyal to Tom — pining for her could prove useful to her in the future.

"Ramsey," Rhea greeted, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "How was your summer?"

"Better than yours, I reckon. You're the one who had to spend all those weeks with Tom." Ramsey joked. Rhea laughed, mainly because Tom's face darkened at Ramsey's words and he looked as though he would hex the boy. "How was it?"

"Unbearable." Rhea smirked. To her surprise, inviting Tom to stay at Hel House hadn't been as bad as she expected it to. He spent a lot of time in the family library going through their endless amount of books or listening to anecdotes from Rhea's family. Sometimes Rhea felt like he was studying them and he most likely was, but there were other times when he seemed to almost envy their dynamic, despite her family's many flaws.