005. VIVERE EST VINCERE

CHAPTER FIVE
to conquer is to live

       RHEA HEL'S WORDS WERE ON REPEAT IN TOM'S MIND UNTIL THE DAY THE STUDENTS LEFT FOR CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY

       RHEA HEL'S WORDS WERE ON REPEAT IN TOM'S MIND UNTIL THE DAY THE STUDENTS LEFT FOR CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY. Her voice was in his head, constantly repeating: The next time you open the book think of me and your feelings towards me. Was she so arrogant as to believe  he held any feelings for her other than contempt? 

Abraxas and Cassius's voices drifted up the stairs into their room as they left the Slytherin dungeons. Tom stayed in their room alone with Caliope Hel's book gripped tightly in his slender fingers.

He'd called off the attack on Rhea during Slughorn's Christmas Party out of hope that her boyfriend would take care of it for him. He had gone out to spy on them to witness the girl being put in her place but found her taking control of the situation yet again. 

The more he thought about her, the more loathing filled him. He didn't think he'd ever hated someone as much as he hated her.

The latch on the book flung itself open when Tom thought of his hatred towards her. He raised his brow when the book lifted from his hands and opened itself up to a page. It wasn't a spell, but a story. He recognized the name on the page instantly because Rhea had mentioned it to him.

Salazar Slytherin's Chamber of Secrets.

Pluto and Rhea weren't speaking to one another. She had noticed Pluto was growing soft — too comfortable in the role their father had assigned them when they went to Hogwarts. Him mentioning their mother at Slughorn's Party had brought memories back to both of them that neither of them wanted to relive. She knew thoughts of their mother were on his mind more often now than they had ever been before, much to her dismay.

After the long train ride back to King's Cross, Rhea wasted no time in saying long goodbyes to her friends. She'd be separated from Druella, who had grown sickly in the weeks that Rhea had been poisoning her, so the girl would have time to recover. Still, no one would ever suspect that she had anything to do with what happened to Druella. 

Rhea hurried off the train and found Pluto collecting their luggage. She grabbed his forearm and forced him to turn and look at her.

"You need to pull yourself together, Pluto." She said. Pluto scoffed and went back to gathering their things. His barn owl stared at Rhea with its wide eyes.

"I suppose expecting an apology from you would be wishful thinking?" Pluto asked. Rhea did a double take at the notion.

"An apology? What do I have to apologize for? If anything you owe me the apology." Rhea asked.  

Pluto whirled around on her and opened his mouth to say something, but he didn't get the chance.

The tall, shadowy figure of their uncle, Cato Hel descended upon them before Pluto had the chance to speak his mind. Beside him stood Cauius's new wife, Rialta Hel nee Lestrange. Rialta's brown hair was fashioned in a style similar to most of the women that walked around King's Cross — tight curls with a bold red lip and dark, heavily lidded eyes that reminded everyone of the family she hailed from. Rhea had taken quite a liking to Rialta and she certainly liked Rialta better than she had liked her own mother, though she didn't believe Caliope was tough competition.